Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda headquarters

Options
  • 01-04-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Did anyone notice how close a corner of the new Garda headquarters building in Renmore is to the road? Surely the plan would be in the next few years to add a cycle lane and a bus lane on both sides of the road.

Seems like very bad planning as there is now no space to widen that road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Did anyone notice how close a corner of the new Garda headquarters building in Renmore is to the road? Surely the plan would be in the next few years to add a cycle lane and a bus lane on both sides of the road.

Seems like very bad planning as there is now no space to widen that road.

Yeah. I was being driven along that road a few days ago and I thought we were going to crash into the dam thing. So close and quite large. It is quite imposing. A bit of an eyesore really. It had a touch of the Barna about it.

Regarding bus lanes and cycle lanes:that kind of thing is called forward planing. And it is kind of an oxymoron to use forward planning and the city council in the same sentence. A bit like the civil service or perhaps Garda intelligence?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The whole intersections will be fixed sooner or later: the traffic volume is way too large for a roundabout. Lots of space there.

The whole intersections will be fixed sooner or later: the traffic volume is way too large for a roundabout. Lots of space there.

Sooner or later? As in there will be a bridge over the Corrib sooner or later?

Are there any plans in situ for this roundabout do you know? The bus lane from GMIT to Bons is great. However there is then the problem of a narrowing road from there to MonaG. I am no engineer but is there scope to widen this road to include an inwards bus lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The building isn't big enough. According to official figures, one Galway Garda arrested over 1 million suspects last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yeah. I was being driven along that road a few days ago and I thought we were going to crash into the dam thing. So close and quite large. It is quite imposing. A bit of an eyesore really. It had a touch of the Barna about it.

I agree that is very imposing and looking like an eyesore. I had a look at what the finished design is supposed to look like.

It looks very ugly. Very few windows. A big five storey grey wall built right up against the road. It's a pity as I think GMIT beside it is a very nice building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

imposing
    ɪmˈpəʊzɪŋ/
    adjective
    adjective: imposing

grand and impressive in appearance.
    "an imposing 17th-century manor house"
    synonyms: impressive, striking, arresting, eye-catching, dramatic, spectacular, staggering, stunning, awesome, awe-inspiring, remarkable, formidable; More
    splendid, grand, majestic, august, lofty, stately, dignified, resplendent
    "an imposing mansion"
    antonyms: unimposing, modest

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sooner or later? As in there will be a bridge over the Corrib sooner or later?

Are there any plans in situ for this roundabout do you know? The bus lane from GMIT to Bons is great. However there is then the problem of a narrowing road from there to MonaG. I am no engineer but is there scope to widen this road to include an inwards bus lane?

No, I'd say a lot sooner than a bridge over the Corrib!

I don't have any links, but am sure I've seen media releases about removing that RAB being on the agenda. I'd guess that they'll do it at the same time as re-aligning the intersection to facilitate the new station.

And I don't know if there are any plans for extension of the bus-lane from the Bons inwards. Don't think that planning for it is funded at the moment, anyway.

As to the station being ugly, I don't think I've seen a police station anywhere in the world that's not ugly: with the security measures that new ones get, they're effectively concrete bunkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I've wondered what they're going to do about trafic at that roundabout. I can't see how Garda cars will come and go from the new building.
    Would also think that the area with the bus stop outside GMIT might need to be heavily rethought. Seems to have just organically become one of the more important bus stops around town with nothing being done to accommodate it. The stop is where all the cross country bus stops pick up passengers from the Easst side of town (or does Gobus still go up Monivea and around onto the bypass?). That means that there tends to be a large number fo people standing waiting for buses at a point where the wall from GMIT makes the pavement really narrow. Would think something could be done to accommodate things better, could envision a better cioach stop being made incorporating some of the ground that's currently Corrib Great Southern. But not sure whta that would entail in terms of who owns the land and what rights tehre are to use it.
    Would echo the idea that that junction might be a bit busy to be fully served by a roundabout that size.
    Really not sure hwo having a police station there is going to effect things.

No, I'd say a lot sooner than a bridge over the Corrib!

I don't have any links, but am sure I've seen media releases about removing that RAB being on the agenda. I'd guess that they'll do it at the same time as re-aligning the intersection to facilitate the new station.

And I don't know if there are any plans for extension of the bus-lane from the Bons inwards. Don't think that planning for it is funded at the moment, anyway.

Well the more bus lanes the better. Every stretch helps. They should also look at College Road to make it more bus friendly. One simple thing to be done is to put down more double yellows. (I know this impacts on residents) but the greater good is more important. One badly parked car can, and does, obstruct and delay traffic esp busses.
    Is there room for widening L Atalia Rd? One bus lane? It all helps.

Mill Street Station's stone facade is lovely I think. I don't know about inside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sorry for digging up an old thread but is there any update as to when the new HQ will be opening? I had originally heard March 1st but that date has been and gone. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Was told by someone in the ranks that July is hoped for...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

April/May was what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The guard that does the crime spot each week on GBFM said it will be June time.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

What's going to happen Mill Street when the move is made?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What's going to happen Mill Street when the move is made?

They said it is going to continue as is, no question about it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The new building is predominantly for admin, as was said to me by two detectives during the year. The base remains in Mill St.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The new building is predominantly for admin, as was said to me by two detectives during the year. The base remains in Mill St.

That much be one heck of a lot of admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Discodog wrote: »
    That much be one heck of a lot of admin.

Well, compiling all the stats on the breath test takes a lot of work....

Advertisement