Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logan's claws

Options
  • 01-04-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Why are Wolverine’s metal blades shaped differently than his bone claws?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Cos that's the way the adamantium was molded around his claws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Cos that's the way the adamantium was molded around his claws.

In the film sequence we only see injectors to infuse his skeleton with the metal, his claws are naturally conical, as shown when they were extended prior to taking part in the weapon x program. Afterwards they have a very deliberate blade shape, I haven't seen any explanation for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Seanachai wrote: »
    In the film sequence we only see injectors to infuse his skeleton with the metal, his claws are naturally conical, as shown when they were extended prior to taking part in the weapon x program. Afterwards they have a very deliberate blade shape, I haven't seen any explanation for this.

Nor will you, I'm sure. My explanation stands. In movies/comics/fiction in general, not everything is meticulously explained. Often, the creator leaves it up to the viewer/reader to connect the very obvious dots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I'm not going upstairs to dig it out, but if I remember correctly, the claws were shown in Weapon X as conical post adamantium treatment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Why are Wolverine’s metal blades shaped differently than his bone claws?

Honestly?

Because someone who got to make the call decided they looked cooler that way.

No, nobody at Fox (if it's the films you're talking about) or Marvel (for the comics) or anywhere else (writers, artists, etc) has necessarily said so, but that's effectively what it boils down to.

See also: pretty much everything about 90s comics, including the Jim Lee X-Men, Morrison's Animal Man (He must be cool and kinda grounded, he wears a leather jacket over his ridiculous bodysuit! :D) and many, many more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Fysh wrote: »
    Honestly?

Because someone who got to make the call decided they looked cooler that way.

No, nobody at Fox (if it's the films you're talking about) or Marvel (for the comics) or anywhere else (writers, artists, etc) has necessarily said so, but that's effectively what it boils down to.

See also: pretty much everything about 90s comics, including the Jim Lee X-Men, Morrison's Animal Man (He must be cool and kinda grounded, he wears a leather jacket over his ridiculous bodysuit! :D) and many, many more.

I suppose I'm just a bit pedantic, maybe the metalworker in me too, I'd be looking out for details like that even in sci-fi and superhero movies. I think I've found an explanation though in that the technique they used was molecular-bonding, so the nano molecules could have been programmed to take a certain shape. Otherwise conventional infusion would just result in a layer of the metal around the conical shaped claws like the rest of his bones. Jesus I need a girlfriend lol :P.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/1zfrrs/wolverine_why_does_his_bone_claws_turn_into_blades/?st=j166dznq&sh=569b940b

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I suppose I'm just a bit pedantic, maybe the metalworker in me too, I'd be looking out for details like that even in sci-fi and superhero movies. I think I've found an explanation though in that the technique they used was molecular-bonding, so the nano molecules could have been programmed to take a certain shape. Otherwise conventional infusion would just result in a layer of the metal around the conical shaped claws like the rest of his bones. Jesus I need a girlfriend lol :P.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/1zfrrs/wolverine_why_does_his_bone_claws_turn_into_blades/?st=j166dznq&sh=569b940b

Oh, I understand exactly what you mean - working in IT means that I have to basically tell myself to shut up and ignore it every time I see a film or TV show involving "hackers" or anyone showing off how l33t they are. (There are a few that get it right, but they're a very small minority). It does make you wonder how much received wisdom is out there via popular media about all sorts of subjects which is complete nonsense :)

Advertisement