Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today in unaccountable Ireland, junkie assaults ice cream vendor and gets no time

Options
  • 01-04-2017 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

For. F*ck's. Saaaaaaaaake. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-annoyed-kids-were-getting-a-treat-punched-ice-cream-seller-court-hears-35584789.html
    An ice cream seller was punched in the chest and threatened with an iron bar by a man who was annoyed he was selling the sweet treats to young children.

John Green (24) had to be pulled away from the victim by his sister, who had told him to "cop on".

The ice cream seller ran away from his van after he was assaulted, but came back and was able to drive away.

Judge Anne Watkin ordered Green to enter into a probation bond for two years.

The court heard that Green has 34 previous convictions, but has not been in trouble for a few years.

Defence solicitor Ronnie Lynam said Green has battled difficulties with cannabis and crack cocaine, and these would have been factors at the time of the assault.

Mr Lynam said Green recently attended St John of God's for substance abuse and suicide issues.
    He is also attending psychiatric services and drug treatment services.

Ordering Green to enter into a probation bond for two years, the judge said she was giving him a "chance to get his life in order".

Seriously, should we all just start taking drugs so that if we ever do anything scumbaggy we know we'll get away with it scott free? THIRTY FOUR PREVIOUS CONVICTIONS for f*ck's sake. How the f*ck can we say we live in a safe, decent society where people are held accountable for harming others when we see stories like this every day? It's complete bullsh!t.

In all honesty, what is it going to take for the government to get tough on crime? This sh!te has been going on for my entire life it would seem. Someone does something scumbaggy, Gardai put in an amount of effort to catch them and build a book of evidence, DPP sends the case forward for trial, and some absolute muppet of a judge decides that no punishment is in order. There's literally no deterrent. I'm a nice person, but I know that if I changed my mind and decided to go for a walk down Dun Laoghaire pier punching random passers by and carrying on, I'd be absolutely grand. Nothing would happen to me. I have no consequences to fear. And if it looked like it wasn't going my way in court, I could spin some yarn about having been off my face on something or other at the time - problem solved. Laughing all the way to the restorative justice program.

Oh and before anyone accuses me of being prejudiced or insensitive about those with addiction problems, I'm not in any way. I'm actually opposed to drug use being a crime, I'm opposed to dealers going to jail simply for dealing (those who engage in violence, blackmail etc - that's entirely another matter), I have a very liberal view of it. I have nothing against drug addicts. A junkie, one who inflicts a menace on society because of their habit, is a different kettle of fish entirely. If you choose to use drugs or drink all day, fair play to you. Not my cup of tea, but it's your life. However, you should be subject to exactly the same standards of decent behaviour while doing so as everybody else who chooses to be present in a public place. That means, essentially, do what you like but don't be an insufferable pr!ck.

I for one would dearly love to see this notion - the notion that there are consequences for disturbing the peace, hurting people, and generally being a w@nker, drugged up or not - actually be enforced at some stage.

Is anyone else infuriated by this kind of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Of course he shouldn't get in trouble. He only had 34 previous convictions. If he had 200 or more we would know he's a "bad un"...but 34...sure he's practically a saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is anyone else infuriated by this kind of thing?

Absolutely, our mental health and addiction problems most certainly are getting worse, but sadly we have been unable to create a health care system that can adequately deal with these issues. Extremely frustrating and as you say, infuriating!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why don't you go do something about it? Seriously, start a petition, get enough sigs and take it to a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sounds like a bit of a screwball.
    He could have had 99 previous convictions and nothing would be done.
    Judges today are such flakes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

What exactly was it about kids getting ice cream that got him all hot and bothered? Was he jealous? Did he think the vendor was a paedophile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Absolutely, our mental health and addiction problems most certainly are getting worse, but sadly we have been unable to create a health care system that can adequately deal with these issues. Extremely frustrating and as you say, infuriating!

I agree with everything you said, but I don't find it relevant in this case. Mental health issues or not, somebody who commits violent acts against others in this manner needs to be prevented from being in a position to do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

No one gets their just desserts anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

How loud was the music from the ice cream van?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

34 previous convictions

You think thats bad? Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahaa....... *cries*
    Man with 483 convictions sentenced to 18 months for road crash which killed teen

A MAN HAS been jailed for 18 months after pleading guilty to careless driving causing the death of a teenager.

Eamon Lynch has almost 500 convictions which include 280 for traffic offences and 50 for burglary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

After a while vigilante groups are going to emerge when sentences like this keep happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Have a collection to send him on holidays to the Philippines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Crack Cocaine would be a big factor in making people act violent alright, don't know about Cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Isn't ice cream man a cover job for drug dealer?...kinda like the way taxi driver is.

Could be more to the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In any other country, he'd be sent a wafer several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Crack Cocaine would be a big factor in making people act violent alright, don't know about Cannabis

Who cares what drugs he's on, Assault is illegal and should be punished ! Bottom line here which is what a lot of people forget

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I assume of this man was assaulted by the ice cream man he'd have an 100,000 claim granted by the judge in damages without a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What the **** does cop on actually mean, stupid statement if there ever was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The saddest thing about this story is that the ice cream man was subsequently found dead in his van, covered with syrup and hundreds and thousands. Gardai say that he topped himself. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What the **** does cop on actually mean, stupid statement if there ever was one.

It means snap out of it. Strange thing to get so angry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sure everybody knows an infamous Irish businessmen bribed a government minister to win a lucrative contract.

Said businessman is incredibly wealthy now, saunters around the place when he drops in without ever getting taken in for questioning by AGS, never has CAB at his door.

And yet you're surprised that there's a breakdown in law and order? :confused:

Was our former taoiseach who perjured himself ever charged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

This is the very reason I'm leaving Dublin, I should have been a criminal id be buried in a gold plated coffin when I die.
    I'm moving to a very remote place in the country pongee sticks in the drainage ditch and netwatch.

Ive lived in Dublin for 36 years since I was born and been the victim of countless crimes. the guards were supportive but seriously underpowered to investigate properly.

I'm just sick of it now gang rapes where there now quasi celebrities because they get married
    Gangsters who would put Pablo Escobar to shame with there flaunting, all the while the police are falsifying statistics the other day an article was on the indo how burglary was down but murder was up how can you even believe it anymore!!

the sad reality is we are living in a country where the majority of people do not know what the hell is really happening to people 800 meters down the street.
    go on facebook to any community group and see what the ground looks like its a nasty web of crime fcuk we only have 4 million people in this country how many are criminals???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Sundae bloody sundae

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

...__... wrote: »
    This is the very reason I'm leaving Dublin, I should have been a criminal id be buried in a gold plated coffin when I die.
    I'm moving to a very remote place in the country pongee sticks in the drainage ditch and netwatch.

Ive lived in Dublin for 36 years since I was born and been the victim of countless crimes. the guards were supportive but seriously underpowered to investigate properly.

I'm just sick of it now gang rapes where there now quasi celebrities because they get married
    Gangsters who would put Pablo Escobar to shame with there flaunting, all the while the police are falsifying statistics the other day an article was on the indo how burglary was down but murder was up how can you even believe it anymore!!

the sad reality is we are living in a country where the majority of people do not know what the hell is really happening to people 800 meters down the street.
    go on facebook to any community group and see what the ground looks like its a nasty web of crime fcuk we only have 4 million people in this country how many are criminals???

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The only justice he would understand is a fcuking good hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Birneybau wrote: »
    Really?

seriously you can sit on your pc playing games and pretend its a haven outside your d4 mansion.
    the stark reality and I'm only speaking about d22 here the criminals out number the cops at least 20 to 1 Its probably more in other areas.

How can a small country with such a small population be so fed up??

You can sit there and post Really??

Have you been the victim of a crime?
    have you got justice?

If so please post tell me the crime and the sentence handed down.

Don't be a boardsie social justice warrior who thinks there living in a paradise cause we don't chop hands off thieves.

were are really living in a nation that allows people to carry out crime and if they got a smack on the ass as a kid will send them to a probation officer who will say there sorry to a judge and they will be back in an hour to finish off the job they started.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

ED E wrote: »
    You think thats bad? Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahaa....... *cries*

If he went to court for each conviction then that's a year and four months of showing up to court. Probably more than he got for 99% of his convictions.

Advertisement