Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Opening a padlock

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ Trotters


    Appealing for recommendations re: lock pick tools.

    I have a number of old padlocks that I use for the shed, my bike etc.
    But, a couple of them have lost their keys. I ordered a set of "lock pick tools" off Alibaba, and had a go at opening them.

    There are millions of Youtube videos showing how to pick a padlock and it is actually fascinating: I managed to open one of them (hurray!) but 2 more are still resisting my efforts.

    I suspect that the cheap set of tools is not equal to the job. The picks are sort of rough and scrapey as if they weren't filed properly to smooth the edges. And the tension tools keep twisting: I guess they should be made of stronger metal.

    My question is...can anyone on here recommend a good brand of tools to buy? There is a dizzying number of makes and types available online.

    I'd prefer to order from the UK because the Chinese tools may turn out to be very poor quality (Once bitten, twice shy @-@) and the American ones may be good but postage from the States is very expensive.

    I mainly need the tension wrenches but would like some better quality picks too. Its my new obsession!

    Anyone else ever tried this? Can anyone advise/recommend?

    Thanks in advance.


Comments



  • Tried a hammer?




  • frash wrote: »
    Tried a hammer?

    Ha ha. Hammers don't work on a padlock.

    You can prise them open with 2 spanners, or you can cut through the curved part with a hacksaw. But both of these destroy the lock.

    I really thougth that being able to pick a lock would be a seriously useful Life hack. But maybe I posted this in the wrong forum.

    If there is a more useful place on boards.ie to ask for advice on this issue, can someone please point me in the direction of it? Suggestions? Moderators?




  • Trotters wrote: »
    Ha ha. Hammers don't work on a padlock.

    You can prise them open with 2 spanners, or you can cut through the curved part with a hacksaw. But both of these destroy the lock.

    I really thougth that being able to pick a lock would be a seriously useful Life hack. But maybe I posted this in the wrong forum.

    If there is a more useful place on boards.ie to ask for advice on this issue, can someone please point me in the direction of it? Suggestions? Moderators?

    Look on YouTube for the video about opening a padlock with a coke can.




  • @zerks I have seen it.

    I was hoping someone on here would be able to recommend a good brand of lock picking tools, from there own experience. Think I may have picked the wrong forum to post it in.




  • Southord are a decent brand of basic pick and are well priced.

    If the picks you have are rough, use some fine wet and dry paper on them. Or you can make great picks and tension tools yourself from old hacksaw blades or old windscreen wipers. All you need is a mini grinder and a couple of diamond files.

    It takes a bit of practice to get the feel of picking a lock, and some locks can't be picked with normal picks: disc detainer and wafer locks for example.

    It's a fascinating hobby and when you get into making your own keys for disc detainer locks, it gets to be really fun.




    Oh by the way, clampers use disc detainer locks. :D


  • Advertisement


  • @Falcon L Thanks mate
    I reckon I will order some new picks from Southord

    I did try to smooth down the Chinese ones with a file but maybe didnt do a great job of it, I'll have another go with the sandpaper. Haven't got access to any metalworking tools but I do like to be resourceful and may manage to make some home-made picks anyway, thanks for the tip!

    Disk detainer locks: well it certainly would be useful knowing how to get round those!! winks




  • I get most of my stuff from here.




  • Falcon L wrote: »
    I get most of my stuff from here.

    Looks great, thanks a mill. I'll be ordering my new stuff! :D:D




  • Hi guys, looks like an interesting site!

    Are you a locksmith Falcon L or is it just a hobby for you?




  • cardshark wrote: »
    Hi guys, looks like an interesting site!

    Are you a locksmith Falcon L or is it just a hobby for you?
    I'm just a hobbyist. I love puzzles and tangles, it's what keeps me sane. :D A lock without a key is a perfect puzzle.


  • Advertisement


  • If you near Dublin, these guys also enjoy picking locks. Think the relieved the hap'peny bridge of a few. https://www.tog.ie/category/lock-picking/




  • Trotters wrote: »
    Appealing for recommendations re: lock pick tools.

    I have a number of old padlocks that I use for the shed, my bike etc.
    But, a couple of them have lost their keys. I ordered a set of "lock pick tools" off Alibaba, and had a go at opening them.

    There are millions of Youtube videos showing how to pick a padlock and it is actually fascinating: I managed to open one of them (hurray!) but 2 more are still resisting my efforts.

    I suspect that the cheap set of tools is not equal to the job. The picks are sort of rough and scrapey as if they weren't filed properly to smooth the edges. And the tension tools keep twisting: I guess they should be made of stronger metal.

    My question is...can anyone on here recommend a good brand of tools to buy? There is a dizzying number of makes and types available online.

    I'd prefer to order from the UK because the Chinese tools may turn out to be very poor quality (Once bitten, twice shy @-@) and the American ones may be good but postage from the States is very expensive.

    I mainly need the tension wrenches but would like some better quality picks too. Its my new obsession!

    Anyone else ever tried this? Can anyone advise/recommend?

    Thanks in advance.

    In Bargain alerts yesterday there was a practice lock(which is see through and lets you see the pins, and a set of picks for about 9 euro. I bought my picks at a security conference and can't remember the name of the vendor. You can fashion your own very easily. In my opinion the tension wrench is the most important part of the toolset. A hack saw blade bent works quite well for that. Remember not to put too much pressure on the tension wrench or it has the opposite effect of what you want.




  • Trotters wrote: »
    Ha ha. Hammers don't work on a padlock.
    I have opened a good few with hammers or hitting with other things.



    If your padlocks are old they might be rusted or otherwise corroded and can be a nightmare to pick. I have old locks which are hard enough to open with the key.


Advertisement