Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIT Students Union Supporting Bus Eireann Drivers

• 01-04-2017 1:36am

I just want to say as a student, I do not support the drivers and I was not asked for my opinion on the matter.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

You're not learning much in Waterford if you don't support a strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op that's a great attitude as they are fighting to try and keep conditions that were very hard to get and keep and have since they were got chipped away at.

Sure hopefully if you get your way you will be happy to work for minimum wage or less as that's what is really going on as the fight to the bottom.

Rich get richer and the poor get poorer and those that actually do the hard work are kept down and really run like slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Did the Students' Union not have a referendum on their stance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BE drivers are far from poorly paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Op that's a great attitude as they are fighting to try and keep conditions that were very hard to get and keep and have since they were got chipped away at.

Sure hopefully if you get your way you will be happy to work for minimum wage or less as that's what is really going on as the fight to the bottom.

Rich get richer and the poor get poorer and those that actually do the hard work are kept down and really run like slaves.

Oh do shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I always found it funny that people re-use these union soundbites like "race to the bottom" and when you ask them to explain their reasoning, its a "uh.........".

I don't care for one's opinion on the Bus Eireann strike, I don't support it myself however. My bone to pick is WIT endorsing it when places of learning should be apolitical, as there are many people there from different backgrounds and leanings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

lertsnim wrote: »
    Oh do shut up.

Snowflakes is all that seem to be around these days.

Have I hurt your feelings or something.

Thought Ireland had free speach.

The op can have their opinion just like I can have mine.

The race to the bottom thing is in somewhat true but I didn't use it.

Go out see for yourselves and think outside the box as what will be there for all of you after you do your years of college.

From what I have seen we were booming everyone was spending like there was no tomorrow then boom it dried up. Solicitors, builders many highly educated having to leave or work lo skilled or no skill jobs at all. But hey look the coach drivers and others stuck it out and many other professions and what do they get at the end only a kick in the teeth.

Now country is booming but from what I see including myself is cost of living is out of the world and rents are only going one way.

I can't live anywhere near where I work and must commute over an hour off peak times to get there.

Workers should unite and yee kids of the future should be using that energy to push the government to create a future for us all.

For unskilled workers they are on far more than they should be because of their strong union, private bus drivers are on far less than the BE drivers are. The cuts are to their overtime not to their base pay and this strike has no merit at all. Bus Eireann as a company is losing money every day and when companies lose money then sometimes the workers have to take cuts :confused:

Did the Students' Union not have a referendum on their stance?

The union said there wasn't time to ask people their opinion, which is rather messed up in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 venlo

support the bus drivers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'm not from Waterford but any of the folk I've known who are, can be pretty tetchy about unions. I think it was after Waterford crystal shut.... some blamed the unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Snowflakes is all that seem to be around these days.

Have I hurt your feelings or something.

Thought Ireland had free speach.

The op can have their opinion just like I can have mine.

The race to the bottom thing is in somewhat true but I didn't use it.

Go out see for yourselves and think outside the box as what will be there for all of you after you do your years of college.

From what I have seen we were booming everyone was spending like there was no tomorrow then boom it dried up. Solicitors, builders many highly educated having to leave or work lo skilled or no skill jobs at all. But hey look the coach drivers and others stuck it out and many other professions and what do they get at the end only a kick in the teeth.

Now country is booming but from what I see including myself is cost of living is out of the world and rents are only going one way.

I can't live anywhere near where I work and must commute over an hour off peak times to get there.

Workers should unite and yee kids of the future should be using that energy to push the government to create a future for us all.

The snowflake response, how edgy of you. Not everyone who posts here is an 18 year old just out of school oh wise one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

A union should represent the majority and I highly doubt that students in any college across the country support the bus strike as it makes it more difficult if not impossible to get home at the weekend and or commute.

Boaty wrote: »
    A union should represent the majority and I highly doubt that students in any college across the country support the bus strike as it makes it more difficult if not impossible to get home at the weekend and or commute.

Im a mature student and anyone I have asked from my class does not support the strike. The bus drivers are hurting students and this strike is a load of crap, striking cause their over time is being cut, its not a fecking entitlement.

Luas and Bus drivers are both getting paid way more than their worth cause of the unions, just automate the whole lot and fire the whingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

venlo wrote: »
    support the bus drivers

Ah ...... no.
    I don't use public transport and glad I am not being held ransom by cowboys like them and their union.

Cannot grasp their logic of demanding something which will make their company go bust and lose their jobs? Idiotic.

Advertisement