Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garmin 935 + pod

Options
  • 30-03-2017 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭

Got an email from Garmin about it today , I see DCRainmaker already has a review of it plus the new Running Dynamics Pod - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-forerunner-935-depth-review.html

Whilst I'm pretty sceptical of the usefulness of the whole running dynamics thing at sub elite plus coach level my head is trying to convince me to upgrade from my 235 to a 935 (even if i'm not a OHR fan).

The non touchscreen (drove me bonkers on my previous 630 (returned) and 405) plus wifi (i find bluetooth a bit temperamental) are big positives apart from anything else.

I wont be using it for much else apart from walking, running and indoor spins and rarely on the outside bike ...

Then again...
    Anyone else thinking of an upgrade or not convinced?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If I didn't already have a Fenix 3, then the Fenix 5 would be a serious contender, but I can't see any real difference between the Fenix 5 and the 935. They both seem pretty identical functionally (I don't think the 935 has a barometric sensor), but the 935 is $100 cheaper, so seems a much better buy.

Would you not consider the Fenix 3 as an alternative? Should be dropping in price significantly with the release of the Fenix 5/935. Doesn't have on-screen mapping, but does have route following/breadcrumb trail/compass navigation. It's by a significant margin, the best of the Garmin watches I have owned/used over the last 10 years. No touch-screen and it has Wifi!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Correction: It's got a barometric altimeter - so is just a plastic version of the Fenix 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Correction: It's got a barometric altimeter - so is just a plastic version of the Fenix 5.

You're bang on there Krusty, just watched the review video on DC Rainmaker and he said thats basically it, apart from the fact that it includes wifi and some of the Fenix 5 models don't. The price point is $100 less which is the main selling point I suppose.
    The Trainingpeaks apps looks interesting, although i haven't purchased any training plans from them so far, I do have a premium account on there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

They'll hopefully have ironed out any issues with the wrist based HR monitor by using us saps who both the 235 as guinea pigs. Mine has ranged from woeful to adequate to completely untrustworthy over a range of software updates. Features like VO2 max/training effect/training status/Recovery Hours are great but only if the watch is giving accurate HR readings. Of course I could always just wear the strap - but I find them uncomfortable. DC Rainmaker always seems to have good luck with OHRMs, and I'm happy enough with my wrist based Mio Link OHRM, but I find the 235 (especially lately) to be just unbelievable - throwing out ridiculous high HR readings during recovery runs, strangely low ones during races and back to being rubbish during nay sort of interval workout. I believe they are using the same hardware for HR detection in this model.

That being said it has a bucket load of features (barometric altimeter, wifi, running dynamics) which I don't really need, but really, really want!! I like the navigation function too - handy for going off on your own in unfamiliar places without your phone (provided you've uploaded a course). I think you can change out the straps handily enough too for everyday usage.

So in summary and to be totally contradictory - I don't need it and I'm not 100% convinced but I really really want it. Although I haven't read the reviews for the Fenix 5 yet, so maybe I'll want that even more. (How many sleeps until Christmas??) Then again, I'm not really let near shops with big windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like a nice device & of course I'd like one but given I just do a bit of running it would seem over the top as would never use most of the features. Assume there will be some newer running watch (240/640?) at some stage, my 620 is getting a bit old but to be fair to it, it's going fine apart from the battery not lasting quite as long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement