Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herpes meds

Options
  • 30-03-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, I've had herpes for about 6 months now and have been having more frequent outbreaks recently. Has anyone went down the path of suppressive medication here? I feel like it's the only option for me because no matter what I do, I'm having outbreaks. Any advice is apppreciated, I feel crap at the moment because of it 😞😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

Totex1 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've had herpes for about 6 months now and have been having more frequent outbreaks recently. Has anyone went down the path of suppressive medication here? I feel like it's the only option for me because no matter what I do, I'm having outbreaks. Any advice is apppreciated, I feel crap at the moment because of it 😞😞

We can't give medical advice here but could you clarify do you mean genital herpes, facial herpes, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Totex1

Arbie wrote: »
    We can't give medical advice here but could you clarify do you mean genital herpes, facial herpes, etc?

Sorry I should have been clearer, genital herpes. I understand you can't offer medical advice but I'm wondering is there anyone here who is on the suppressive medication? I would love to hear from someone in that position. I was with my gp only 2 weeks ago and they put me on medication for a week, I've had an outbreak pretty much as soon as I finished the meds.

I'm not on the suppressive meds, actually just had a first outbreak although I know for a fact I was infected anywhere between 8 and 5 years ago!

The doctor told me the suppressive meds are basically the same as the anitviral treatment for the outbreak, which is basically Zovirax. There is no way of predicting outbreaks. Keep seeing your GP obviously but yeah I was told that if I had repeated outbreaks I'd have to take Zovarix for weeks. I've only taken two doses and vomited after both, kinda knew I would because I don't handle meds well. It's harsh. The nerve pain is the worst! Actually no, my boyfriend's guilt that he thinks he gave this to me is the worst! 1 in 5 people carry the virus in some form but most will never even know they have it. I'm glad I'm in a very solid monogamous relationship now so I don't have to tell anyone I am carrying this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Louise1234

Totex1 wrote: »

Hey... I'm on suppressive therapy for it ... I've PM'd you :)

Advertisement