Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 = improvements required ?

Options
  • 30-03-2017 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

I think TG4 gets too much praise on forums like this, it has a lot of faults imo, e.g. showing the Waltons and The weakest link at lunchtime, still repeating the 12 episodes that were ever made of Aifric 13 years on, allowing ros na run go as stale as old bread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think TG4 gets too much praise on forums like this, it has a lot of faults imo, e.g. showing the Waltons and The weakest link at lunchtime, still repeating the 12 episodes that were ever made of Aifric 13 years on, allowing ros na run go as stale as old bread.

Rod na run is a soap it will have highs and lows. I have no real problem with the waltons or the weakest link during the day, it's cheap nostalgic filler.

But yes in recent years it's gone a bit dry, over focus on sport.

They have some good original drama like An Klondike.

As for repeats of Afric at least it gets repeated unlike any RTÉ drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

32.79 million tax payers funding for TG4 in 2017, yet we dont have TG4 HD on Saorview or Saorsat.

Its a disgrace that TG4 HD version can only be got on the foreign owned TV platform providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

FRIENDO wrote: »
    32.79 million tax payers funding in 2017, yet we dont have TG4 HD on Saorview or Saorsat.

Its a disgrace that TG4 HD version can only be got on the foreign owned TV platform providers.
    You are right nothing seems to be happening regards TG4 going HD on Saorview. Money seems to be the crux of the proplem and until something is done to reduce the carraige costs to broadcast in HD on Saorview and Saorsat they will continue to be treated as Mickey Mouse platforms.

17-pdr wrote: »
    Yes. Whatever about TV3 not being in HD on Saorview, its a complete headscratcher why T
    As far as I know the carraige fees for HD channels on Saorview are around twice of the carraige fees of an SD channel which works out at about half a million per year. Also 2rn want a bond paid up front by any channel which wants to broadcast so I suppose until the fees are reduced which I won't hold my breath I can't see TG4 HD or any other channel launching on Saorview for the foreseeable future. Also 2rn have to make sure they don't loose money.

The bond is for new non established channels not established ones. AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Parish Priest.

Elmo wrote: »
    Rod na run is a soap it will have highs and lows. I have no real problem with the waltons or the weakest link during the day, it's cheap nostalgic filler.

But yes in recent years it's gone a bit dry, over focus on sport.

They have some good original drama like An Klondike.

As for repeats of Afric at least it gets repeated unlike any RTÉ drama.

Maybe the Waltons is acceptable but reruns of the weakest link have no place on a tax payer funded public service channel, leave them to be3 type channels

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe the Waltons is acceptable but reruns of the weakest link have no place on a tax payer funded public service channel, leave them to be3 type channels

I don't see a difference between re-running the Waltons and re-running the Weakest Link. The latter has vastly more episodes though.

Considering the vastly smaller amount of content available to repeat in Irish I'm OK with them showing whatever they want during the day really. Its a pity they don't get away with abusing their viewership figures to get US imports cheap like they used to (mostly because Netflix and Sky Atlantic have the rights to what they'd get); most of the perceived drop in quality of content has been due to this. Only station in Europe to show Breaking Bad before Netflix I believe?

I haven't noticed any reduction in quality of their own programming; but I'd only watch certain documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

In fairness I actually like TG4, and watch it alot.
    They show some great documentaries and interesting nature and folklore homemade programmes.
    Sport is also excellent on TG4, (pity we dont have it in HD), great GAA and Rugby coverage.
    I often watch or set to record the Friday night western, they also show good movies on a Monday night.

I also watched all of True blood on TG4, a late night US show.

Day time viewing is not bad either, Raw hide is good and its other programs are a change from Dr. Phil or Ellen or kids programs on RTE.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    In fairness I actually like TG4, and watch it alot.
    They show some great documentaries and interesting nature and folklore homemade programmes.
    Sport is also excellent on TG4, (pity we dont have it in HD), great GAA and Rugby coverage.
    I often watch or set to record the Friday night western, they also show good movies on a Monday night.

I also watched all of True blood on TG4, a late night US show.

Day time viewing is not bad either, Raw hide is good and its other programs are a change from Dr. Phil or Ellen or kids programs on RTE.
    The Friday night western I used to enjoy watching but they have repeated the same ones over and over the past number of years. It's the same with the Waltons I used to watch it with my kids and they are now teenagers and it's still on. There must be other content they could buy in maybe ouside the US. Some programmes that haven't been broadcast over here ever. Outside of that I think TG4 is a very well run channel.

L1011 wrote: »
    I don't see a difference between re-running the Waltons and re-running the Weakest Link.

I mean that uk quiz/gameshows are ten a penny across other channels but the waltons not so much

• Advertisement

I mean that uk quiz/gameshows are ten a penny across other channels but the waltons not so much

10 a penny is the right phrase, TG4 prob get the weakest link for less than €200 per ep

IMO RTÉ, TG4 and TV3 should produce 3 quiz shows of 20 eps each show them over the year repeat the first season Monday to Friday during the day with new eps at night starts repeating series 2, followed by series 1 as series 3 starts.

10 a penny is the right phrase, TG4 prob get the weakest link for less than €200 per ep

IMO RTÉ, TG4 and TV3 should produce 3 quiz shows of 20 eps each show them over the year repeat the first season Monday to Friday during the day with new eps at night starts repeating series 2, followed by series 1 as series 3 starts.

I have often wondered why RTE don't produce a basic cheep daytime quiz show and get one of their underemployed radio presenters to host it.. it really is ridiculous the lack of original and live content on daytime RTE television.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I have often wondered why RTE don't produce a basic cheep daytime quiz show and get one of their underemployed radio presenters to host it.. it really is ridiculous the lack of original and live content on daytime RTE television.

Having seen some of their previous attempts at a quiz they probably shouldn't. Maybe bring back Where In The World with the lovely Theresa Lowe. That kind of thing could work well in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

The only improvement TG 4 needs is to be HD and dual audio on Saorview only .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

TV3 did go for Crossfire and The Lie few years ago. Made 24 episodes of Crossfire, and 51 of The Lie. Ultimately, they weren't successful and so never gained much viewers when the soaps left.

Think it's very hard to come with a unique quiz nowadays. Will we see something that will ever match the popularity that Who Wants to Be A Millionaire once generated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TG4 should play the cool post modern retro card and revive Quicksilver. It's format means it could be played bi-lingually without any pace issue

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    I don't see a difference between re-running the Waltons and re-running the Weakest Link. The latter has vastly more episodes though.

Considering the vastly smaller amount of content available to repeat in Irish I'm OK with them showing whatever they want during the day really. Its a pity they don't get away with abusing their viewership figures to get US imports cheap like they used to (mostly because Netflix and Sky Atlantic have the rights to what they'd get); most of the perceived drop in quality of content has been due to this. Only station in Europe to show Breaking Bad before Netflix I believe?

I haven't noticed any reduction in quality of their own programming; but I'd only watch certain documentaries.
    Breaking Bad Season 1 was definitely televised on FX UK, not sure about the other seasons.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

marno21 wrote: »
    Breaking Bad Season 1 was definitely televised on FX UK, not sure about the other seasons.
    Did they air it before Netflix though?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

byte wrote: »
    Did they air it before Netflix though?
    Yep, it was aired on FX UK in 2008.

Advertisement