Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News channels

Options
  • 29-03-2017 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Do you watch any news channels? I used to... Nothing but murders, terrorist attacks, disasters of all kinds, rapes and so on. The more blood the better.
    A while ago I just stopped, like that. No TV, no junk news from the Internet. And I woke up, went to work and I had a really nice day! Nothing exploded, none of the people I know got their head chopped off, no doom, gloom, immigration problems. A happy life without fear and depression you could say.

Why people bother, torment themselves and feed those parasites that have nothing to do with journalism and everything to do with manipulation and fear? I'm just curious, it seems I have terribly wasted a big chunk of my life watching and reading this cr*p.

BW.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hey BW, what it be like in the hood?!
    Holla

YF out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

How else do you expect to get your Kay Burley fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

don't stress Op - it's all fake news anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've noticed how much more positive the news is down in Oz. Often the main story would be a positive one. As a news addict its kind of refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Step away from drama queen news, job done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sky news did a channel for Ireland that didn't last too long. It's first feature was about a tractor that broke down on a road in the middle of nowhere. Which do you think is more relevant to know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I get my world updates from the beano.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The only experience I have is Sky News, BBC News, and CNN. I don't watch any of them any more, apart from coverage of specific events.

In each case they just repeated content over and over and over again.

In the case of CNN, they even used to bring up old content and pretend it was new content, after some time had elapsed. They had a story about somebody who had smuggled footage out of North Korea (footage showing starvation and dying) and the presented it as new content at least 3 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I gave up watching most news years ago. The dedicated news channels are very much agenda driven and it seems to be more propaganda than anything else. Channels that have a news slot do little other than peddle endless misery and there is little to be gained from watching it. It seems what these channels consider to be news does not match my own definition of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's all depresso tripe or irrelevant or both. There is nothing I can do about those situations.

I've a life to be living and f**K knows how short its going to be.

So no. I packed that 'news' addiction thing in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bluewizard

I personally hate "live blogs" - something terrible happens - here we go, fresh blood: live updates, minute by minute, pictures, comments. Ffs... Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Sky news did a channel for Ireland that didn't last too long. It's first feature was about a tractor that broke down on a road in the middle of nowhere. Which do you think is more relevant to know about?

Depends, what kind of tractor was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I watch a range of 'News' Channles. 24 hour rolling news is the biggest blight on Journalism in it's history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depends, what kind of tractor was it?

Green

• Registered Users Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."
    - Earl Warren (1891 - 1974)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Red Eyes

Sky Sports News, Your Home of Sports News!!!

I must hear this line over 50 times a day. When I am at home and nothing I like is on tv, I always leave this on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Green

A John Deere? Typical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Red Eyes wrote: »
    Sky Sports News, Your Home of Sports News!!!

I must hear this line over 50 times a day. When I am at home and nothing I like is on tv, I always leave this on in the background.

Sky Sports News HQ HD. One of the daftest names for a television channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Never a better send up than this from the Day Today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Never was one for the rolling 24 hour news channels to be honest. Would prefer to watch a BBC or Ch4 evening bulletin with more balanced coverage and a bit of context. And twitter for breaking or unfolding events.

Good news is not news in media terms, at least not news that attracts ratings and therefore revenue. Especially with those rolling channels that are competing with so many rivals and have to go that extra mile since the advent of social media and the dwindling amount of people actually switching the TV on these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

None of them are a patch on the Muppet News Flash:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I do yes I watch RTE news, BBC news, Channel 4 news, Sky news and some others too like Euronews which used to be good but lately has just gotten worse.

Its not all bad news sometimes there is good news and interesting news like maybe about space or going to Mars. There can be some nice and some fun news too sometimes. Yesterday for instance the two people who helped that women in the marathon run and then a third lad that carried her to the line as she could not walk anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

AMKC wrote: »
    some others too like Euronews .
    Whenever I watched Euronews (and this was 20 years ago) I was always struck by just how rarely Ireland was given any mention at all.

Obviously, we take news of our own country seriously, but in terms of news that would be considered important and relevant for a wider European audience, we rarely made the grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

No news can be good news .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 ps4wwefan

When even the most minor of stories became "Breaking News" on a constant basis, I gave up on watching news channels (namely Sky)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

AMKC wrote: »
    There can be some nice and some fun news too sometimes. Yesterday for instance the two people who helped that women in the marathon run and then a third lad that carried her to the line as she could not walk anymore.

So she didn't actually finish the marathon? At least she has a nice, fun reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭melloa

fake news

Advertisement