Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to use multiple methods of teeth whitening?

Options
  • 29-03-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

So I have just finished a long 2.5 years straightening my teeth with invisalign, and now want to celebrate by getting my teeth whitened before my upcoming wedding! :D

About a month ago I go a one-hour laser whitening treatment that had no effect on my teeth whatsoever :(

I spoke to my dentist who recommended the special take-home trays and gels, and I think I'll try these even though they are very expensive. The thing is I am getting married in July and he said to wait until a few weeks before to do the whitening.

However, after previous poor results I am reluctant to leave it so close in case it doesn't work... I am thinking of buying the Spotlight or Crest whitening strips now to get whiter teeth sooner, hopefully!

So my questions are: Is it safe to use multiple methods of teeth whitening within a few months? Does anyone have recommendations about the best types of whitening? I'm not worried about sensitivity but my teeth are different levels of discolouration - I don't know will that be an issue? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adini

Do you still have your final invisalign tray? If so you can just buy the gel and use that - my dentist gave me the gel during my invisalign treatment. You just put it in overnight and rinse the next morning. No need to get a whole new tray made, it does the same thing! The gel costs about €15 if I remember. I finished my invisalign treatment and now have a plastic retainer (like an invisalign tray but more durable) that I use at nighttime - I use the whitening gel in this from time to time. (FYI the gel works really well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Well given the second method is with a dentist, can't you just tell the dentist what you've done previously and ask if there is any issue?

My bestie is a dentist and always told me that laser teeth whitening doesnt work. The gels and trays are the most effective method. Also the gel comes in different strengths so your dentist could start you on a lower % if they're worried about your previous treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 suefox

Adini wrote: »
    Do you still have your final invisalign tray? If so you can just buy the gel and use that - my dentist gave me the gel during my invisalign treatment. You just put it in overnight and rinse the next morning. No need to get a whole new tray made, it does the same thing! The gel costs about €15 if I remember. I finished my invisalign treatment and now have a plastic retainer (like an invisalign tray but more durable) that I use at nighttime - I use the whitening gel in this from time to time. (FYI the gel works really well)

I don't have my final invisalign tray (it no longer fit as a bar was fitted behind my front teeth when I completed the course of invisalign) but I do have a new night-time retainer. I actually asked my orthodontist about using this for whitening and she said I would need to go to my dentist and get a special one made, that I couldn't use my nighttime retainer, as it is not as strong as a whitening tray and that it may not fit my teeth as tightly.

However I did think that sounded a bit odd as the retainer is much stronger than my invisalign trays and seems to fit quite tightly.

So this worked well for you? Can I ask what name or brand is the gel that you were using? This would be a much cheaper option if it worked! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 suefox

Well given the second method is with a dentist, can't you just tell the dentist what you've done previously and ask if there is any issue?

My bestie is a dentist and always told me that laser teeth whitening doesnt work. The gels and trays are the most effective method. Also the gel comes in different strengths so your dentist could start you on a lower % if they're worried about your previous treatments.

Yes, since doing the laser whitening a lot of people have said to me that it dosen't work! To be fair I wasn't charged after the laser whitening as there was literally no change in colour which was decent of them.

You're right - the obvious thing is to ask my dentist, but as he doesn't supply whitening strips or other options, I feel like he may not be impartial and suggest that I only do his method of whitening ... I probably will have an honest conversation with him also but I'm interested to learn from others' experience on here too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adini

You definitely can use the nighttime retainer! My dentist did both my invisalign and provided the whitening gel (for use in both the invisalign and retainer trays - it worked perfectly for both) And I don't think you could get a tighter tray than the retainer really - surely thats the whole point of the retainer. Mine is very snug anyway!

The brand is called Kool White, it comes in little syringes you squirt into the front of tray before you put it in to your mouth at night. You can only get it through your dentist as far as I'm aware because its decently strong peroxide. Your dentist should have no problem selling you just the gel - call them and ask! My dentist has posted it out to me...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Perhaps you could post this query in the dental forum? You might get more professional advice there.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/627

Seconded, my sister in law is a dentist and takes care of me and she won't do the lazer whitening because it's an ultimately disappointing result. The teeth look good directly afterwards because they're dehydrated, but once they rehydrate the effect is almost back to the way they were.

As far as I know there's no issue with using the gels and trays now and just topping up closer to your wedding, but obviously your dentist is the expert.

Advertisement