Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hustle (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels remake)

Options
  • 28-03-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,641 ✭✭✭✭

Chris Addison (yes he from Mock the Week and QI) will direct Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson in this remake

Another remake that is not needed :rolleyes:

Comments

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Chris Addison (yes he from Mock the Week and QI) will direct Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson in this remake

Another remake that is not needed :rolleyes:

Absolutely, I initially came in here to give out! However, Chris Addison directing interests me. Yes he's appeared on Mock the Week and QI, but he has written and directed some very good episodes of the BBC's The Thick of it, and HBO's Veep, two quality political mockumentaries with some outstanding comedy.

This could have been worse IMO. However, to hell with Hollywood and their endless remakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Jeez nothing is sacred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

Is that the real name for the film? Awful name if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

blue note wrote: »
    Is that the real name for the film? Awful name if so.

They're jumping (and cashing in) on the Trump bandwagon.

"nasty woman" is a hashtag movement, a female empowerment message.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, I love con movies and can't see any reason why a good "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" type of movie couldn't work with women in the lead.

The puzzling thing for me is why they decided to re-make it with women rather than simply making a similar movie with two female leads. Surely they'll be changing the scams / plot anyway so why not let it stand as a movie in it's own right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Sleepy wrote: »
    The puzzling thing for me is why they decided to re-make it with women rather than simply making a similar movie with two female leads. Surely they'll be changing the scams / plot anyway so why not let it stand as a movie in it's own right?

If they're changing the title it pretty much amounts to that. I'd say the only reason they're calling it a remake because marketing like to present things as being familiar to the audience

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a remake of the 1964 film farce Bedtime Story"

Keeping with the pattern it seems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

stankratz wrote: »
    Absolutely, I initially came in here to give out! However, Chris Addison directing interests me. Yes he's appeared on Mock the Week and QI, but he has written and directed some very good episodes of the BBC's The Thick of it, and HBO's Veep, two quality political mockumentaries with some outstanding comedy.

This could have been worse IMO. However, to hell with Hollywood and their endless remakes.

I didn't know he directed tv shows, just thought of him as camp comedian who dresses like he from 1970s off Mock the Week :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As there are no funny women since Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles this will not be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Jeez nothing is sacred.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels isn't sacred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

As there are no funny women since Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles this will not be funny.

There's plenty of funny female actors. They face the same problem as funny male actors though when it comes to these modern cash grab remakes. Studios prefer to cast the lowest common denominator actors to ensure they make a quick low risk buck off the back of the original movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was joking (a bit), and yes Hollywood is eating itself. If they do not start to make intelligent films for 30 and 40 something aged people again rather than Chinese teenagers they will implode. The current big big biggest mentality is going to sink a studio sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Unlike unique, innovative films such as Ghostbusters, there is room for a remake of a film of this nature. It was a good comedy in its day, with a decent premise and model to work from.

Having said that, these remakes for spite efforts are just pathetic, and I wouldn't be so keen on Addison himself. To me it seems he has convinced himself that he is this comedy powerhouse, but he will always be Ollie, a necessary but ultimately unspectacular chap. Much like anything else though if the script is good it'll be a winner. It doesn't do itself any favours though by probably alienating a lot of potential viewers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

These gender-swap remakes are just so patronising and contrived. There's an all-female Oceans Eleven reboot and a Splash remake in the pipeline, with a merman instead of a mermaid It's not like women in Hollywood are some downtrodden minority that they need a leg up. Why can't they make something original and stand on their own two feet? It would get much more credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

most comedies are cheap to make by Hollywood's standards so they make them because they can

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Rather than showing two smart woman using their brains to outfox men and each other, they've gone down the slapstick road of let's laugh at the overweight woman who is clumsy, unsubtle and a bit of an idiot.

According to the trailer at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now Steve Martin's character wasn't exactly the height of class himself; I will admit, the visual, bin-bag joke made me laugh. Otherwise the comedy looked way too broad, and about typical for a Hollywood 'comedy' these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dirty Rotten scoundrels is an absolute classic .
    That trailer looks like an abomination .

Dades wrote: »
    Rather than showing two smart woman using their brains to outfox men and each other, they've gone down the slapstick road of let's laugh at the overweight woman who is clumsy, unsubtle and a bit of an idiot.

According to the trailer at least.

That is pretty much all of Rebel Wilson's films :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

That trailer makes the film look dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I like Anne Hathaway, so I might go and see it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a remake of a 1964 film called Bedtime Story, which starred Marlon Brando and David Niven

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

"Go woke, go broke"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 filters

How can they do a remake and push the SJW angle?
    In the original the 2 male leads where made fools by a woman, will we see the 2 female leads in this made a fools by a man?
    Not if it is a woke movie.

Advertisement