Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand for 14 Days

• 28-03-2017 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Myself and my boyfriend are in the middle of trying to plan a trip to Thailand in November. We have 14 days so trying to fit a decent bit in, but have it relaxing as well.

We are thinking of doing Bangkok for 3 days and then heading down south for the remainder of the time.

For Bangkok at the moment we have:

Chatuchak Weekend Market
    Dusit Palace (Royal Residences)
    Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn)
    The Grand Palace
    Chao Phraya River
    Lumpini Park - MR
    Nana Plaza (Red Light District)
    Banyan Tree hotel (Rooftop Bar)
    Floating markets
    Khao San Road (Main Tourist Road)
    Roof Top Bars

We have been thinking of Phuket, Phi Phi, Koh Phangan and Koh Samui, but not sure what are the best order to do them in. Are we leaving out any islands here that we should include?

Is it best to fly Bangkok - Phuket and then Koh Samui - Bangkok for home, or the other way around? I presume apart from these 2 internal flights, we won't need to get anymore as we can get ferries? Or what do you guys think is best?

We love doing activities so would really appreciate it if anyone could give us any ideas or their experience of any activities on the various islands! We aren't big into partying but will definitely go to the full moon party, just to see it!

Really appreciate any help at all as we just want to plan this as best we can! So any tips or tricks or ideas are welcome!

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hi everyone,

Myself and my boyfriend are in the middle of trying to plan a trip to Thailand in November. We have 14 days so trying to fit a decent bit in, but have it relaxing as well.

We are thinking of doing Bangkok for 3 days and then heading down south for the remainder of the time.

For Bangkok at the moment we have:

Chatuchak Weekend Market
    Dusit Palace (Royal Residences)
    Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn)
    The Grand Palace
    Chao Phraya River
    Lumpini Park - MR
    Nana Plaza (Red Light District)
    Banyan Tree hotel (Rooftop Bar)
    Floating markets
    Khao San Road (Main Tourist Road)
    Roof Top Bars

We have been thinking of Phuket, Phi Phi, Koh Phangan and Koh Samui, but not sure what are the best order to do them in. Are we leaving out any islands here that we should include?

Is it best to fly Bangkok - Phuket and then Koh Samui - Bangkok for home, or the other way around? I presume apart from these 2 internal flights, we won't need to get anymore as we can get ferries? Or what do you guys think is best?

We love doing activities so would really appreciate it if anyone could give us any ideas or their experience of any activities on the various islands! We aren't big into partying but will definitely go to the full moon party, just to see it!

Really appreciate any help at all as we just want to plan this as best we can! So any tips or tricks or ideas are welcome!

Thanks everyone!

Your trying to squeeze a lot in for a 14 day trip. Bear in mind some internal flights in Thailand can be expensive, in particular the Samui - Bangkok route is a monopoly. Full moon is only on once a month so if it's something your keen to see then that will most likely dictate your route.

Going between Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao is all ferrys of about 60-90 mins. Getting to the otherside to go to Phi Phi/Phuket is around the 7 to 8 hours by boat/bus/boat. It's not an awful trip and is about 15 euro per person and is easy to book when on the ground there.

With full moon time you need to bear in mind most places have a minimum stay of around 4 days and you need to book well in advance to ensure somewhere decent at a good price. Any questions through them at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I found Thailand a terrible place altogether!!

Sorry, not what you want to hear

You seem to be all set for it

I went to Bangkok, nothing about it appealed to me
    Maybe I didn't see the right things that would have impressed/ excited me

Jim Thompson's House was the best thing by far, a really unexpected thing to see imo
    Tranquil and charming

Check it out if you can

On Koh samui I found taxi drivers were rip off merchants, generally uncared for feel about the place

On internal flights expect your bags to be gone through and expect to find items , toiletries especially stolen.
    Again all this sounds like a downer��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I found Bangkok to be a terrible hole of place. Full of scammers. Koh samui is very seedy. Phuket was excellent as was koh phangan. I'd recommend spending less time travelling around and more time in nice spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pinkmonkey045

I went to Thailand last year for 2 weeks in September. Spent 1 day in Bangkok (for us, enough!), then flew north to Chang mai for 4 days (my favourite place- loved Chang mai city, did a coking course in the countryside, and visited a fab elephant sanctuary). Then flew to ko samui direct. Stayed in bophut (nice place, I had gotten tips on this!). Went to ko tao for 2 days - it was ok but not amazing. If the weather is good on the west side (phuket etc) I'd stay over that side only if you had to pick.

There is a cheap ferry that seems to take you from ko samui to phuket (I'm sure there's a us in between!) so I wouldn't bother with another internal flight for that, if you decide to do both.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

Went to Thailand last year for 3 weeks with the GF. Absolutely loved it.
    Started in Koh Samui, liked it a lot! We stayed in Bophut in an unreal hotel. Buses to the busy area of Chaweng went to and from our hotel nearly every hour! Loads to do and plenty to see. We did a day trip to Koh Nang Yang in Koh Tao, along with some snorkeling along the way, which was reasonably priced.
    We then went to Koh Phangan by ferry for the full moon party. Crazy experience and a must if you like to party. Stay as close to the beach where it happens as possible as taxis are a rip off and really hard to get when trying to get out of there in the early morning.
    Back to Samui for 1 night and onto Krabbi, stayed there 2 nights, nice beaches etc but I wouldnt mark it as a must. You're in Thailand, nice beaches are a given nearly everywhere you go!
    Ferry to Phi Phi, not a nice experience in a cramped up boat with very lil room and no aircon. We stayed in a resort in Phi Phi outside of the actual busyness of town. Although this was the nicest place I stayed in for the whole holiday I would not recommend it. Getting longboats to and from there was expensive and we missed out on most of the night life.
    Back to Krabbi and flight up to Chiang Mai. Amazing place. Elephant sanctuary and flight of the gibbons are a must! We also went to tiger sanctuary - a lot of people disagree with it but up to yourself. Would put Chiang Mai on the must list.
    Back to Bangkok where we stayed for few nights. I see a lot of people saying they disliked it but I thought it was really cool. I would spend at least 2 nights there. Loads to do and some crazy stuff going on in the red light districts. Definitely worth a look.

You have 2 weeks there. I felt like we rushed a lot of stuff in 3! You need to decide what you wanna do there i.e jungle in Chiang Mai, or just beaches of the islands!

PM for any hotel info or anything at all you want to ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For Bangkok rooftop bar, skip the Banyan Tree (over-priced)

Instead, go to Octave @ Marriot Hotel on Sukhumvit Rd. Very easy to get to, just get the BTS (Skytrain) to 'Thong Lor', walk 100m east and you can't miss it.

No strict dress code, but don't arrive in a wife beater and flip flops. Nice shorts and runners are fine.

Between 5-7pm they do Happy Hour = 2for1 (400baht for 2 drinks which is good value for rooftop).

When sun sets I prefer the view looking down Sukhumvit rather than looking at the river.

As mentioned above, you're trying to do too much (imho) in 14 days.

Bangkok alone deserves 3 days between exploring / shopping.

Phuket? Personally i'd give it a miss.... you'd may aswell be in Tenerife.
    Samui the same, although it's a handy stop off point between the islands.

You're missing the best parts for picture perfect beaches (islands right down South) but forget about it with your time-scale.

Flying is your best bet since you've so little time, don't even consider wasting a day/night on long haul busses.

If it were me, i'd restrict it to: Bangkok => Fly to Samui => Stay Koh Samui 2-3 nights => Boat to Koh Phangan => Phangan for a few nights => Boat to Kao Tao => Koh Tao for a few nights => "Fly n' Ferry" from Koh Tao back to Bangkok (you get a ferry to Chumpon and fly from Chumpon to Bangkok)

This is probably not what you want to hear but honestly the worst thing you can do is try to squeeze too much in too little time... what will happen then is you'll be able to say you went to loads of places but you'll have spent the majority of your 14 days travelling rather than enjoying places. Honestly you want 2-4 days at least on each of the islands as otherwise you'll only be starting to enjoy it and you'll be packing your bags to head off.

This is just my opinion as someone who has been travelling to Thailand for the past 5 years (I'm not a creep, I go with my Irish GF as we love the adventure / sun mixture of Thailand) :o:pac:

-Edit- Just to add, i'm not even mentioning the North here as you simply won't have time. But if you ever go back, time up North will be time well spent... lovely part of the country.

Krabi was mentioned and if you had the time i'd definitely spend a night or two at Railay - real honeymoon destination and a wonderful chill out spot. Krabi town itself should only be used to pass through, but the surrounding area is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I went to Thailand at the start of last December for 2 weeks with my gf. We did a few nights in krabi and then 1 night on KoTao and a few nights on Ko phanghan, 1 night in Bangkok. we were looking for tropical peace and scenery. we did not like Bangkok. we stayed in a wooden palace on ko phanghan and that was by far the best part of our trip. rented a kayak for the day and went out to Railay beach was also a major highlight. my advice is travel at the start and then keep a few days at the end to relax. if you have to travel you will be planning that and not relaxing.

tonto24 wrote: »
    We then went to Koh Phangan by ferry for the full moon party. Crazy experience and a must if you like to party. Stay as close to the beach where it happens as possible as taxis are a rip off and really hard to get when trying to get out of there in the early morning.

It's all relative and I don't agree with the bit in bold.

You can pay crazy prices to stay in Haad Rin (full moon area) for sub-standard accommodation. If staying in Haad Rin, stay on the West end... you'll be 5 min walk from the party but will still have peace and quiet at night (i've done this several times)

If you can't get accom. at a reasonable price at Haad Rin, a shared taxi as far as Thong Sala (the main pier village... with some excellent accommodation) is 100 baht per person (approx €2.50) - it's all subjective as to what you're after. We done both on different occasions as each trip we wanted different things.

DON'T DO DRUGS, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, IF ANYONE OFFERS, SMILE AND SAY NO, WALK AWAY. Trust me on this, i've spent time as a visitor in Thai prisons and they are not a place you want to be. You also don't want to be in the situation of having to offer a massive bribe (Anything up to 20,000 baht = approx €500)

imme wrote: »
    I found Thailand a terrible place altogether!!

Sorry, not what you want to hear

You seem to be all set for it

I went to Bangkok, nothing about it appealed to me
    Maybe I didn't see the right things that would have impressed/ excited me

Jim Thompson's House was the best thing by far, a really unexpected thing to see imo
    Tranquil and charming

Check it out if you can

On Koh samui I found taxi drivers were rip off merchants, generally uncared for feel about the place

On internal flights expect your bags to be gone through and expect to find items , toiletries especially stolen.
    Again all this sounds like a downer��

If Jim Thompson's house was 'the best thing' you did in Bangkok, you did it wrong, very wrong. The city doesn't suit some people and you are one of them. However, you are the exception.

I agree re. taxi drivers on Samui - the whole place is a tourist trap and a total dump imho.

On internal flights - i've never had anything go missing.

In future, I suggest a trip to the Aran Islands for you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I would avoid Phuket and Koh Samui. Phi Phi is very touristy but a good spot for partying.

Koh Lanta was very nice and chilled.

You probably don't have time to visit the North but Chiang Mai is great , lots of trekking and things to do. We did a cooking class on an organic farm and it was one of the highlights of our trip last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

JohnCleary wrote: »
    If Jim Thompson's house was 'the best thing' you did in Bangkok, you did it wrong, very wrong. The city doesn't suit some people and you are one of them. However, you are the exception.

I agree re. taxi drivers on Samui - the whole place is a tourist trap and a total dump imho.

On internal flights - i've never had anything go missing.

In future, I suggest a trip to the Aran Islands for you :pac:
    Not sure why you're making this so personal:pac:

I am "exceptional" as you say , so thanks for that

imme wrote: »
    Not sure why you're making this so personal:pac:

I am "exceptional" as you say , so thanks for that

Sorry, I only meant it in a lighthearted way...please don't take it personally! ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭InterestedK

Firstly, thank you all so so much for your recommendations... will definitely be taking them all on board! You're all really generous with your time and tips!
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Your trying to squeeze a lot in for a 14 day trip. Bear in mind some internal flights in Thailand can be expensive, in particular the Samui - Bangkok route is a monopoly. Full moon is only on once a month so if it's something your keen to see then that will most likely dictate your route.

Going between Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao is all ferrys of about 60-90 mins. Getting to the otherside to go to Phi Phi/Phuket is around the 7 to 8 hours by boat/bus/boat. It's not an awful trip and is about 15 euro per person and is easy to book when on the ground there.

With full moon time you need to bear in mind most places have a minimum stay of around 4 days and you need to book well in advance to ensure somewhere decent at a good price. Any questions through them at me.

Thanks Duffman! Noticed alright that Bangkok - Samui and vice versa is a little steep (€130 one way ticket), which is a little annoying. We actually land in Bangkok the morning of the Full Moon party, so we won't get to see it. But we aren't overly dissapointed about that to be honest as have heard mixed reviews about it.

We were thinking of flying from Phi Phi to Samui to save some time. It might be a stupid question, but what are the views like on the boat? Is it worth getting the 7/8 hour boat over flying just for the views or are they incredibly cramped and stuffy etc? Would you be able to sleep on one of these?
    (my favourite place- loved Chang mai city, did a coking course in the countryside, and visited a fab elephant sanctuary). Then flew to ko samui direct. Stayed in bophut (nice place, I had gotten tips on this!). Went to ko tao for 2 days - it was ok but not amazing. If the weather is good on the west side (phuket etc) I'd stay over that side only if you had to pick.

There is a cheap ferry that seems to take you from ko samui to phuket (I'm sure there's a us in between!) so I wouldn't bother with another internal flight for that, if you decide to do both.

Good luck!

Thanks Pinky Monkey! Can I ask, do you remember the name of the farm etc of where you did the cookery class? This is something that we would really love to do! Can this only be done in Northern Thailand, or can elephant/ tiger sanctuary be visited on any of the islands?

Definitely going to look up Bophut and see what it's all about!
    tonto24 wrote: »
    Went to Thailand last year for 3 weeks with the GF. Absolutely loved it.
    Started in Koh Samui, liked it a lot! We stayed in Bophut in an unreal hotel. Buses to the busy area of Chaweng went to and from our hotel nearly every hour! Loads to do and plenty to see. We did a day trip to Koh Nang Yang in Koh Tao, along with some snorkeling along the way, which was reasonably priced.
    Back to Samui for 1 night and onto Krabbi, stayed there 2 nights, nice beaches etc but I wouldnt mark it as a must. You're in Thailand, nice beaches are a given nearly everywhere you go!

Ferry to Phi Phi, not a nice experience in a cramped up boat with very lil room and no aircon. We stayed in a resort in Phi Phi outside of the actual busyness of town. Although this was the nicest place I stayed in for the whole holiday I would not recommend it. Getting longboats to and from there was expensive and we missed out on most of the night life.
    Back to Krabbi and flight up to Chiang Mai. Amazing place. Elephant sanctuary and flight of the gibbons are a must! We also went to tiger sanctuary - a lot of people disagree with it but up to yourself. Would put Chiang Mai on the must list.
    Back to Bangkok where we stayed for few nights. I see a lot of people saying they disliked it but I thought it was really cool. I would spend at least 2 nights there. Loads to do and some crazy stuff going on in the red light districts. Definitely worth a look.

You have 2 weeks there. I felt like we rushed a lot of stuff in 3! You need to decide what you wanna do there i.e jungle in Chiang Mai, or just beaches of the islands!

PM for any hotel info or anything at all you want to ask!

Thanks for the tips Tonto... the 2 of you as a couple seem to be into the same kind of things as myself and himself! Would love to do snorkelling so definitely going to look into this! Any recommendations of companies?

In relation to Krabbi, is there anything to do on this Island that you can't do on any other island? If not, I think we will leave it off!

Flight of the Gibbons looks AMAZING, so definitely going to look into this! Would love to know some more info on the Tige sanctuary is possible?
    For Bangkok rooftop bar, skip the Banyan Tree (over-priced)

Instead, go to Octave @ Marriot Hotel on Sukhumvit Rd. Very easy to get to, just get the BTS (Skytrain) to 'Thong Lor', walk 100m east and you can't miss it.

No strict dress code, but don't arrive in a wife beater and flip flops. Nice shorts and runners are fine.

Between 5-7pm they do Happy Hour = 2for1 (400baht for 2 drinks which is good value for rooftop).

When sun sets I prefer the view looking down Sukhumvit rather than looking at the river.

Thanks John, just had a look at this, looks beautiful, so will do that instead of Banyan Tree!
    As mentioned above, you're trying to do too much (imho) in 14 days.

Bangkok alone deserves 3 days between exploring / shopping.

Phuket? Personally i'd give it a miss.... you'd may aswell be in Tenerife.
    Samui the same, although it's a handy stop off point between the islands.

You're missing the best parts for picture perfect beaches (islands right down South) but forget about it with your time-scale.

Flying is your best bet since you've so little time, don't even consider wasting a day/night on long haul busses.

If it were me, i'd restrict it to: Bangkok => Fly to Samui => Stay Koh Samui 2-3 nights => Boat to Koh Phangan => Phangan for a few nights => Boat to Kao Tao => Koh Tao for a few nights => "Fly n' Ferry" from Koh Tao back to Bangkok (you get a ferry to Chumpon and fly from Chumpon to Bangkok)

This is probably not what you want to hear but honestly the worst thing you can do is try to squeeze too much in too little time... what will happen then is you'll be able to say you went to loads of places but you'll have spent the majority of your 14 days travelling rather than enjoying places. Honestly you want 2-4 days at least on each of the islands as otherwise you'll only be starting to enjoy it and you'll be packing your bags to head off.

This is just my opinion as someone who has been travelling to Thailand for the past 5 years (I'm not a creep, I go with my Irish GF as we love the adventure / sun mixture of Thailand) :o:pac:

-Edit- Just to add, i'm not even mentioning the North here as you simply won't have time. But if you ever go back, time up North will be time well spent... lovely part of the country.

Krabi was mentioned and if you had the time i'd definitely spend a night or two at Railay - real honeymoon destination and a wonderful chill out spot. Krabi town itself should only be used to pass through, but the surrounding area is lovely.

Thanks John, really valuable info.

What is the story with Fly n Ferry price wise? Is it much cheaper than flying Samui - Bangkok and what is the time?

Totally agree with not trying to fit too much in, so that's why I've strated planning so early!

Really appreciate anything else that you think will help me with the planning?!
    Zenify wrote: »
    I went to Thailand at the start of last December for 2 weeks with my gf. We did a few nights in krabi and then 1 night on KoTao and a few nights on Ko phanghan, 1 night in Bangkok. we were looking for tropical peace and scenery. we did not like Bangkok. we stayed in a wooden palace on ko phanghan and that was by far the best part of our trip. rented a kayak for the day and went out to Railay beach was also a major highlight. my advice is travel at the start and then keep a few days at the end to relax. if you have to travel you will be planning that and not relaxing.

Hi Zenify, thanks for the above... can you remember the name of the wooden place in Ko Phangan? How long does it take to kayak from Ko Phangan to Railay Beach?
    grahamor wrote: »
    I would avoid Phuket and Koh Samui. Phi Phi is very touristy but a good spot for partying.

Koh Lanta was very nice and chilled.

You probably don't have time to visit the North but Chiang Mai is great , lots of trekking and things to do. We did a cooking class on an organic farm and it was one of the highlights of our trip last year.

Thanks Grahamor! Can you remember the name of the cooking class? Also, do you know if cooking etc can be done in teh southern part of Thailand?

What is the story with Fly n Ferry price wise? Is it much cheaper than flying Samui - Bangkok and what is the time?

Check it out yourself, full prices / timetables: www.nokair.com

Just to note that from BKK you fly out of Don Mueang airport - A LOT of Chinese fly to/from here and reports of late are that it can be crazy busy, just to note.

Check out the Tripadvisor forums, plenty of helpful posters there. Avoid ThaiVisa.com forums; full of middle-aged grumpy men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭InterestedK

Check it out yourself, full prices / timetables: www.nokair.com

Just to note that from BKK you fly out of Don Mueang airport - A LOT of Chinese fly to/from here and reports of late are that it can be crazy busy, just to note.

Check out the Tripadvisor forums, plenty of helpful posters there. Avoid ThaiVisa.com forums; full of middle-aged grumpy men.

Thanks John.

We are going to fly from Bangkok to Phuket and then get a ferry straight to Phi Phi, what are the timings of the ferries like (regular or not) and should we prebook or is it easy to get on the ferry at arrival?

We were thinking of getting the 11am flight from Bangkok - Phuket, but are fearful that there may be no ferries when we land at 12;40 to bring us to Phi Phi that day!

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement