Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding second car insurance

Options
  • 28-03-2017 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭

Another family member has recently called it a day with driving as the insurance costs were getting out of control. As it stands the car is sitting at my parents house still taxed and NCT'd. My insurance cover allows me to drive it on a "third party" basis but are slow enough to do a temp transfer onto it in the case I want to insure it for say a few weeks etc.

In the coming weeks, I want to send my own personal car in for a few repairs and it will probably mean the car is off the road for a fortnight or so. The insurance company I'm with have told me that I would be covered without a transfer but as above only third party or the would sell me another policy but they refused to mirror my NCB and therefor me would be paying a lot more that I'm even paying now...

Has anyone done this and am I likely to run into issues down the road should something happen? I don't plan to drive it full time after the 2 weeks but would like to take it for the odd drive over the summer to ensure it doesn't seize up etc. The car BTW is an 03 Mini Cooper S, not that it would make much difference. Also the owner doesn't want to sell it as he intends to go back on the road at some point in the he future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You can't take a 2nd policy on it, as it is not your vehicle.

If your own insurance won't do a temporary transfer, and there is no cover in place by the owner to add you as I driver, I don't see a solution

Advertisement