Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organ Donor Awareness Week 1st to 8th April 2017.

Options
  • 28-03-2017 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

I will be signing up and they can have everything except my love organ. :pac:
    I would hate to get to the other side and not have my love organ when I meet the 72 virgins that I am promised !!!

Will you be signing up ?

Is there any part of you would not donate ? Why not ?

If you wouldn't mind donating make sure you carry a donor card and more importantly tell your loved ones your wishes as they will have to make the decision and will have the final say(your next of kin) if anything happens to you.

P.S. This thread has probably been done to death(pardon the pun) before, but its Organ Donor Awareness Week next week and they deserve a hand.
    New procedures, new technology, more experienced medical staff means every year more and more transplants are being done, but they need a steady supply of organs to meet this capacity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Why would you not donate your heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Satts wrote: »
    P.S. This thread has probably been done to death before, but its Organ Donor Awareness Week next week and they deserve a hand.

Huh, I didn't know you could donate limbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

more importantly tell your loved ones your wishes as they will have to make the decision and will have the final say(your next of kin) if anything happens you.

This really is key. Carrying a card means literally nothing if your next of kin don't give their permission. I've found that a lot of people unfortunately aren't aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This really is key. Carrying a card means literally nothing if your next of kin don't give their permission. I've found that a lot of people unfortunately aren't aware of this.

This^^^^. I think it's a silly law. If you carry a card then that's all that should be needed imo. It's your body and you have a say in what happens it. As it is basically organ donor cards in this country are not worth the money they are printed on. You may as well take a piece of paper, write organ donor on it and put it in your wallet and it's the same thing. Again your family give conscent it could be too late to use any of your organs.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

I will be signing up and they can have everything accept my love organ. :pac:
    Noveight wrote: »
    Huh, I didn't know you could donate limbs.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Take anything you want other than my eyes. Already signed up, drivers licence states I am a donor, and is nearly always on me or near by.

All that is pointless though, as it will be my nearest and dearest who will decide should anything happen to me. Hopefully they remember my wishes come the time.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Take anything you want other than my eyes. Already signed up, drivers licence states I am a donor, and is nearly always on me or near by.

All that is pointless though, as it will be my nearest and dearest who will decide should anything happen to me. Hopefully they remember my wishes come the time.

Talking to people in work I often here "Just don't take my eyes". I wonder why people are more squeamish about eyes over any other part. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My wife gave me the go ahead to use my organ on her.

fnarr fnarr.

osarusan wrote: »
    My wife gave me the go ahead to use my organ on her.

fnarr fnarr.

Yeah but if you died jumping off the wardrobe doing that would you donate your other organs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Talking to people in work I often here "Just don't take my eyes". I wonder why people are more squeamish about eyes over any other part. :eek:

Dont understand people not wanting to donate their eyes. They can have any bit of me they want. And if they take my eyes they are welcome to take my reading glasses as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I was going to make an organ joke but I didnt have the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

They should have an 'opt out' process instead of opt in.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    They should have an 'opt out' process instead of opt in.

Yes, this would be great. It would take a lot of pressure off of the next of kin at a difficult time.

I have great respect for families who donate a loved ones organs at a time when their world is falling apart.
    It makes such a life changing difference to the recipients and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm getting the missus to auction off my bits on eBay to cover the bar bill at my wake. Deposits taken if you want to reserve anything. Boardsie specials on my liver and kidneys.

stimpson wrote: »
    I'm getting the missus to auction off my bits on eBay to cover the bar bill at my wake. Deposits taken if you want to reserve anything. Boardsie specials on my liver and kidneys.

Specials on the Liver and Kidneys because your a heavy drinker ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

+1 on many prev posts. By all means carry a doner card or tick the box on your next licence, but make sure your next of kin knows you want yo donate. The card on its own means NOTHING.

I wonder if you put it in your will would it have more weight?
    ....It's your body and you have a say in what happens it....

I think this is the problem. Read somewhere that your body is owned by the state after you die. Makes it more important so for you to make your plans known for what happens after you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

+1 on many prev posts. By all means carry a doner card or tick the box on your next licence, but make sure your next of kin knows you want yo donate. The card on its own means NOTHING.

I think this is the problem. Read somewhere that your body is owned by the state after you die. Makes it more important so for you to make your plans known for what happens after you die.

wouldnt make any difference. by the time the will is read it will be too late to donate your organs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not squeamish at all about them, wear contacts so I can often be seen at 4am Saturday night Sunday morning trying to remove them. It's more windows to the soul, and that kinda thing.

In a will is totally pointless. For organs to be of any use, they have to be removed within hours of death, by the time your will is read, you already be 6 foot under.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Specials on the Liver and Kidneys because your a heavy drinker ? :D

ehhh... Buy one get one free on the Liver all this week.

stimpson wrote: »
    ehhh... Buy one get one free on the Liver all this week.

Me : Do you do Liver ?

Local Chinese Take Away : Yes, we deliver.

Me: Ok, I'll have the Liver with curry sauce and fried rice.

Local Chinese Take Away : Puts down phone.

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0328/863185-organ

Increase in transplants last year.

I hope Minister Harris comes through with an opt out system.

Advertisement