Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new RTS

Options
  • 28-03-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody have any recommendations for a good RTS game to spend my time on? Preferably not one set in a fantasy environment but i dont think i can be too choosy. I cant remember the last good RTS release. I still play COH2 on a regular basis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Dawn of War 3 is out at the end of April. It is made by the same team who created COH2.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Falthyron wrote: »
    Dawn of War 3 is out at the end of April. It is made by the same team who created COH2.

I'd hold off for some reviews before buying that. Early impressions are that it's very different from the previous entries in the franchise.
    Anybody have any recommendations for a good RTS game to spend my time on? Preferably not one set in a fantasy environment but i dont think i can be too choosy. I cant remember the last good RTS release. I still play COH2 on a regular basis.

I'm assuming by that you wouldn't be interested in Total War Warhammer?

Have you played any of the other Total war games?
    What about the Homeworld series?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,277 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Remouad wrote: »
    I'd hold off for some reviews before buying that. Early impressions are that it's very different from the previous entries in the franchise.

I'm assuming by that you wouldn't be interested in Total War Warhammer?

Have you played any of the other Total war games?
    What about the Homeworld series?

played ALL of the total war games going back to the original shogun. I didnt like warhammer as much though. I have a preference for historical.

Never played homeworld. I'll give that a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Homeworld 1: Amazing. Homeworld 2: Almost as amazing. DoK: Disappointing. Whopper that we got the remake (shame about Cata).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What other sort of games would you recommend as a COH2 player do you mind me asking? I play a lot of COH but could never warm to COH2 for some reason, have 100's of hours in COH but only about 20 in COH2.

I'd be interested to know what other sort of RTS games you've enjoyed as I'd love to try something new but it's hard to find something to match COH in quality.

I also loved Dawn of War but didn't really like DOW2 (at least, not in multiplayer)

• Advertisement

The original COH is quality, I still play a lot of that. there are a couple of conversions for it that freshen it up. In particular the WW1, Modern and Sino-Japanese ones.

Apart from that it's been mostly the Total War series, in particular Empire, for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

one of my favourite RTS games is World in Conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ED E wrote: »
    Homeworld 1: Amazing. Homeworld 2: Almost as amazing. DoK: Disappointing. Whopper that we got the remake (shame about Cata).

Deserts of Kharak is solid and enjoyable IMO.

I'm sure you can pick it up for relatively little as well.

They're all solid bets.

If you haven't played 3d strategy before I think they'll pose enough of a challenge to be interesting.

I don't know have you played Starcraft 2 but there was another campaign released for it a few months ago and it's really good.
    I think it's only like a tenner or something. I don't know what version of starcraft you need for it, but I think there's some free to play options or maybe a nice cheap bundle for the main game.

Needless to say, if you haven't played SC2 then do that.

Grey Goo released a couple of years ago is solid as well and you'll pick that up cheap enough these days as well.
    It has echoes of Total Annihilation, Starcraft and Command and Conquer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Skerries wrote: »

Totally one of the best ever.

Probably the only rts i enjoyed multiplayer.

Id also recommend starcraft2 single player, MP is great too but I sucked at it in the lower bronze league for so long I just gave up :P

Skerries wrote: »

that looks awfully familiar. I may already have this in my Steam library.

• Advertisement
Advertisement