Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam - Region Locking for game use

Options
  • 28-03-2017 5:58am

Not sure if this is the right forum... sorry.

I originally signed up to steam over a decade ago while in Ireland and bought games from their site whilst in Ireland. I then moved to China, and the localisation setting changed automatically, including the store itself. Which is fine since I'm earning RMB.

However, I've since heard (from a friend) that there is Region locking on the games. When I moved to China, I didn't recieve any notification of this Region locking or that the purchasing contract terms had changed. Nor were there any warnings or notifications on the purchase screen on either the steam pages or on the receipts. I've since gone through each of the TOS and purchasing agreements, and perhaps, I'm blind, but I can't see any references to this Region locking.

I'm due to return to Europe in August, and I'm a bit worried, since I have a rather large library of games purchased from steam.

So, I'm wondering if there is any legal requirement for steam to have informed me of this Region Locking.. especially since it was them who changed my region not me... Or am I essentially locked out in spite of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Klaz you are probably better off posting this in the gaming forum in the PC section, someone there will more than likely know more about it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1613

Failing that you'd probably have to contact STEAM customer support, who are notoriously slow.

However personally I don't think there'll be an issue.

I had my STEAM account like yourself in Ireland, and have since moved to South Korea and bought a ton of games since I've been here.
    I never have an issue playing my games when I go back home to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@SeantheMan - please don't tell a poster to post in another forum. That's how we end up with duplicate threads. Instead, please use Report Post to alert the mods that the thread should be moved.. Thanks

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Here ya go: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1266-QFZC-2141

For the most part, no region locking on games. Some gifts might be locked but pretty rare.

excellent. thanks folks. appreciated.

Advertisement