Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I made a mistake by declining a course offer last year

Options
  • 27-03-2017 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello, i started my education after the leaving cert by doing a level 5 multimedia PLC course in Tralee. After that course i had 370 points, and was offered a place in the animation course in Tralee (TL801) which requires 260 points. But since at that moment i wanted to get into CIT to study multimedia, when i found out that i wasn't offered a place in there, i applied to a level 6 multimedia course in cork hoping that i will be able to progress into CIT.

However now that the year is almost over, i realised that this is not really something that i'd want to do and the course in CIT would have been a nightmare for me if i actually got in there and studied multimedia. It has too much programming, i hate it.

What i'm trying to find out is, how can i get back into getting the course in Tralee back? I want to do the Animation course in Tralee (TL801) but since i previously declined their offer im afraid that i might not get offered a place this time.

Also, this year in the multimedia level 6 PLC course in cork im afraid that i might not get the required amount of points because it's too difficult for me. If i'll get like 150 points, does that mean i won't get into the course in tralee even though last year i had 360 points? (Last year the course i did was a level 5 course, this year im doing a level 6 course which i hate)

What i mean is, will this year's course just override my last year points, and from 360 points i'll drop down to whatever i'll get this year? (Which i think will be like 150)

If so, should i just drop out of the college before the exams will be over?

Thanks in advance for the answer, this doesnt let me sleep over night..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Hello, i started my education after the leaving cert by doing a level 5 multimedia PLC course in Tralee. After that course i had 370 points, and was offered a place in the animation course in Tralee (TL801) which requires 260 points. But since at that moment i wanted to get into CIT to study multimedia, when i found out that i wasn't offered a place in there, i applied to a level 6 multimedia course in cork hoping that i will be able to progress into CIT.

However now that the year is almost over, i realised that this is not really something that i'd want to do and the course in CIT would have been a nightmare for me if i actually got in there and studied multimedia. It has too much programming, i hate it.

What i'm trying to find out is, how can i get back into getting the course in Tralee back? I want to do the Animation course in Tralee (TL801) but since i previously declined their offer im afraid that i might not get offered a place this time.

Also, this year in the multimedia level 6 PLC course in cork im afraid that i might not get the required amount of points because it's too difficult for me. If i'll get like 150 points, does that mean i won't get into the course in tralee even though last year i had 360 points? (Last year the course i did was a level 5 course, this year im doing a level 6 course which i hate)

What i mean is, will this year's course just override my last year points, and from 360 points i'll drop down to whatever i'll get this year? (Which i think will be like 150)

If so, should i just drop out of the college before the exams will be over?

Thanks in advance for the answer, this doesnt let me sleep over night..
    ring Tralee or better still, email them and explain your situation, they are best able to answer your query. What level is the Tralee course?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 iAteYourSpud

The animation course for which i want to apply again is NFQ Level 8

ittralee.ie/en/InformationAbout/Courses/SchoolofBusinessComputingandHumanities/CreativeMediaandInformationTechnology/TL801-BAHONSinAnimationVisualEffectsandMotionDesign/

I emailed them already and I'm waiting for their answer, but this is really stressing me out because i know for sure that i won't be able to get 260 points this year because the level 6 course i'm doing now just isn't my thing, and is too difficult for me due to all the programming involved. I wish i knew that last year, because then i would have accepted the animation course offer from Tralee, back when i had 360/370 points on the level 5 course...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You still have your 360 points. Apply using your results from that year.

As long as the course hasn't gone up in demand and needs higher points than 360 you should be ok.

But how do i do that if i'll have my new exams and my new points from this year? Sure they will see the exams and won't they take them into the account instead of my last ones? I'm applying through the CAO. They have my PPS so they will be able able to see those. How do i apply using my old ones? I know that they'll be listed there as well, but isn't it like this, that the way they'll se it is: last year: 360 points, and that's old. And then there's new year, and let's say 150-200 points. Or do they automatically use my highest results that i got, and not my newest?

Also, is there a chance that they won't give me an offer this year because i declined it last year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You need to ring them and ask all these questions.
    Or go back to your old school and ask the Careers Guidance person if there is one.

If I were to apply to go to college next year, I could still use my LC marks from 1980. I haven't seen a CAO form in a while - does it have a section to fill in previous results? You can still make amendments to your application.

• Advertisement

All i give them in my CAO form (apart from the leaving cert) is my PPS number so they will see all my PLC course examinations and results. They will be able to see the results i had last year (360/370) and the results i will have this year. The results from this year will probably be much worse than my last years results (I think i'll get around 150 points). I suppose its up to them to decide which results they'll take into the account when reviewing my application? I only hope they won't look at my new results and say "Ok, he got 150 in his newest PLC course, let's bin his application."

I emailed them asking which exams they'll take into the account (this year or last year) hoping that they'll just take the HIGHEST points and use that. I also emailed them asking them if i'll have a chance of getting in if i declined their offer last year.

They won't bin your application.

Just make sure you make whatever edits to your CAO application you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

All i give them in my CAO form (apart from the leaving cert) is my PPS number so they will see all my PLC course examinations and results. They will be able to see the results i had last year (360/370) and the results i will have this year. The results from this year will probably be much worse than my last years results (I think i'll get around 150 points). I suppose its up to them to decide which results they'll take into the account when reviewing my application? I only hope they won't look at my new results and say "Ok, he got 150 in his newest PLC course, let's bin his application."

I emailed them asking which exams they'll take into the account (this year or last year) hoping that they'll just take the HIGHEST points and use that. I also emailed them asking them if i'll have a chance of getting in if i declined their offer last year.
    What is the code number of your fetac level 5? You can check qualifax.ie to see if this course links to the level 8 you are interested in doing. If you say you were offered it last year, then I assume the same applies for this year.

The level 5 course links into the level 8 animation course i'd want to join, i cant remember the code right now but i'm sure that it does because i checked that last year. It's just that im afraid that this year my grades will be much worse on the level 6 and they'll look at those and they'll say that i don't have the required points even though i had the points last year on the level 5.

There will be somewhere on the CAO form (as I said I haven't seen one in years) where it will say are you a FETAC entrant (use this year's points) or an LC entrant. Then there will be a place to say LC which year, 2017. 2016. 1993 etc and you make sure you tick or indicate 2016.

Have you logged in to your CAO to look at the form?
    I can't since I don't have an application in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement