Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a home - Rising Damp

Options
  • 27-03-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this!

Any help, advice or feedback would be much appreciated. We are sale agreed our first home, which is a beautiful period home along the SCR. We had an engineer visit the property to complete the survey, and the feedback we got was there is nothing urgent that would need to be done straight away, great news as our plan was to move in and gradually complete work on the home.

He did mentioned that the best way to treat rising damp (which there is some in one of the rooms downstairs) would be to completely re-do the flooring on the ground floor, to get it properly insulated. While doing this, he said it would make sense to totally re-do the plumbing and the electrical work at the same time. He said the plumbing/electrical is not urgent, its just that we would do it anyway while refurbing.

Has anyone done anything similar? Would it be best to do everything in one go? or know of timeline/cost for this work? Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I don't know about the whole house, but I just had the floor of a extension from the 60s with bad rising damp dug out, correctly lined with a DPC, and while I was at it I had the walls redone with insulated slab and had the ceiling insulated, along with rewiring. Worked out at just over 4K although I suspect that was a bit of a bargain.

Advertisement