Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death was right....

Options
  • 27-03-2017 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,026 ✭✭✭✭

CATS, he said, CATS ARE NICE

Told you so. Knew it all along. People who say cats are ***** are just saying it out of bias.
    Although there was clear individual variability in cat preference, social interaction with humans was the most-preferred stimulus category for the majority of cats, followed by food

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0376635716303424

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

social interaction with humans was the most-preferred stimulus category for the majority of cats, followed by food

Great. A kick up the arse and a tin of whiskers on the way for moggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone one who is close to one knows how affectionate they can be. Mine love attention, they'll seek me out in the house for rubs, especially if I've been away for a while. They can even becoming a bit clingy at times, constantly following me around, wanting to be sitting up on my lap etc.

It takes a while to get to this stage though, you have to win their trust and affection. This is why they're usually wary of strangers.

All the effort is worth it in the end though. Their purring, chirping and squeaky meows never fail to lift my spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Told you so. Knew it all along. People who say cats are ***** are just saying it out of bias.

There is nothing in that that says cats are not *****. They are just ***** that like human interaction.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just because cats like interacting with humans doesn't mean that humans have to like interacting with cats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ah I have to admit a bias towards dogs. As much as I love my cat I don't miss her when she's not around or when I'm away. Just isn't that connection there.

And it's like she'll come looking for cuddles alright but only when SHE'S in the mood. If I'm upset and pick her up for a cuddle she'll just run off on me.

So in short, I love cats but love dogs more. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cats can be right snobs, all over you in the house, but when you see them outside they pretend they don't see you or just runaway. Of course when they want feeding, nice as pie, meowing and rubbing against your leg. Fecking users!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yeah but Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cats can be right snobs, all over you in the house, but when you see them outside they pretend they don't see you or just runaway. Of course when they want feeding, nice as pie, meowing and rubbing against your leg. Fecking users!

Cats are constantly on the look out for either prey or danger when outdoors, like all intelligent species self preservation and personal safety is ingrained in them. Hence the sometimes flighty response to a human attempting to approach.

Although in my experience they don't flee when their owner approaches them, mine will often be there to greet me at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,026 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

stimpson wrote: »
    There is nothing in that that says cats are not *****. They are just ***** that like human interaction.

Could say the same thing about most humans, in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Your Face wrote: »
    Yeah but Donald Trump.

Fake news. Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,671 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Although in my experience they don't flee when their owner approaches them, mine will often be there to greet me at the gate.

+1 .. many years ago when I work shifts, I'd arrive home in the early hours and would hear the bell on her collar as she arrived from wherever she'd been to meet me at the front door.

She was a bully otherwise though! Watching 3 fully grown Rottweilers have to wait patiently while she helped herself to their water was always amusing. But then she was there before they were and they grew up with her as pups so they'd also "back her up" when some other cat dared set foot on "her" walls! :p

Cats are great. I'd love to have one again but renting rules that out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

cats are the Devils work. Absolute bastereds.
    This poor woman suffered a fate worse than death itself:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-attacked-by-neighbours-mischievous-cat-settles-case-for-damages-35559878.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There once were two cats of Kilkenny,
    Each thought there was one cat too many,
    So they fought and they fit,
    And they scratched and they bit,
    Till, excepting their nails
    And the tips of their tails,
    Instead of two cats, there weren't any.

It is a wonder cats like us at all. That rhyme comes from English soldiers in Kilkenny who would tie two cats together using their tail, then hang them on a line so the two cats were facing each other and the two cats would fight one another.

That is why Kilkenny is associated with cats and cats that fight...but cats still like us.

I love my cats, they control rats and mice, one is missing but in the past has gone missing for a good while before returning.
    Love my dog too.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I adore my cats. Tyger is a grumpy ginger fella but when I'm sick he cuddles up to me. Jade-Martha is a live wire but comes for cuddles. They give me so much joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Although there was clear individual variability in cat preference, social interaction with humans was the most-preferred stimulus category for the majority of cats, followed by food

Not buying that. Cats interact with humans purely in the hope of receiving food. Cats are born predators who prey on humans just as they do on mice, except instead of torturing humans physically like they do to mice, they prey on their emotions. Anyone who cares for a cat can see the look of disdain in their eyes for humans. If cats were the size of Labradors, they'd be interacting with humans by trying to eat us! But that's what makes them a more interesting companion than a dog imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I hate cats...all cats. That includes your cats OP and every other degenerate cat-owner reading this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ah you'd easy get away with a cat when renting Kaiser. LL will never find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Jrop wrote: »
    Tyger is a grumpy ginger fella but when I'm sick he cuddles up to me.

Tyger is so checking to see if you're still alive, or can he start eating you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Please, Mods! Don't ban me for this. (I'll accept a red card :D) We're all adults, and just having the craic, right?

Types%20of%20Cats_zps9rntg8aa.jpg

LOL-1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Zaph wrote: »
    Just because cats like interacting with humans doesn't mean that humans have to like interacting with cats.

Who said they have to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

One morning I work up and went to the kitchen. I put on the kettle and made a cup of coffee. As the kettle was boiling I scratched the cat behind the ear. I sat down with my coffee and book. I was sitting there, leaning forward over the table so I could read my book, drinking my coffee when I screamed. I was wearing boxers. One of my nads had slipped out and the cat saw something dangling over the edge of the chair.

Cats are nice? My bollox they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I love cats and I love dogs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Preach. My cat is the best, he's super nice and affectionate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I have a rescue cat. He's all the way from the mean streets of Egypt. He's a pleasant mix of an adorably affectionate kitty and a demon direct from the bowels of hell.

One minute he'll be curled up sound asleep on your chest, the next minute he'll be chewing a hole in your hand.

He yells at me (legit yells, not meows) for a good 5 minutes first thing every morning. I can only assume this is to show his displeasure at not being allowed in my room at night. But the reason he's not allowed in my room is because he got into the habit of biting me in the armpit to wake me up.

But he always has time for a rub, a cuddle or a head butt and is hand on heart the sweetest cat I've ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,671 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

He yells at me (legit yells, not meows) for a good 5 minutes first thing every morning. I can only assume this is to show his displeasure at not being allowed in my room at night. But the reason he's not allowed in my room is because he got into the habit of biting me in the armpit to wake me up.

Mine used to try suffocation first by lying across my neck for a few minutes... if that didn't work she'd bite my cheek and hold on until I agreed it was time to get up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I like cats. They're impressive. Pound for pound one of the best predators on the planet.

However I don't know if I could trust one. They have retractable claws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Mine used to try suffocation first by lying across my neck for a few minutes... if that didn't work she'd bite my cheek and hold on until I agreed it was time to get up!

"Agreed" to get up....or bullied into it by a fluffy terrorist

Not buying that. Cats interact with humans purely in the hope of receiving food. Cats are born predators who prey on humans just as they do on mice, except instead of torturing humans physically like they do to mice, they prey on their emotions. Anyone who cares for a cat can see the look of disdain in their eyes for humans. If cats were the size of Labradors, they'd be interacting with humans by trying to eat us! But that's what makes them a more interesting companion than a dog imo.

Deciding to believe a pre-set mentlaity in the face of scientific eveidence - ah, creationaism!

Stigura wrote: »
    Please, Mods! Don't ban me for this. (I'll accept a red card :D) We're all adults, and just having the craic, right?

Types%20of%20Cats_zps9rntg8aa.jpg

LOL-1.gif

Banned. :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Banned. :mad::mad:

cats_zpslbkcujfd.jpg

Nine out of ten cats disagree! :p

Advertisement