Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needing some advice for non Veggie

Options
  • 26-03-2017 6:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there. First time poster here and I have some genuine questions looking for advice!

So full disclosure I'm a meat eater however recently after looking at some research I've become more uncomfortable with animal welfare than normal as I've unearthed more stuff that I was unaware of. I can't say I'm be switching to veggie but I have cut down on red meat and my white meat purchases are aimed at the most ethical farms I can find.

My question is about milk and cheese. I like milk. Is there any decent milk alternatives that really does have the taste of dairy that's tea and cereal friendly?

As for cheese, is there such a thing as ethical cheese?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

I have yet to find a milk replacement that's ok with tea, so i just switched to herbal teas and i don't notice it any more. Same with cereal, i got used to almond milk pretty quickly and could never go back. Try a few of the alt milks out there- once you get past the 'this isn't milk' stage, you'll actually grow to love them.

Cheese is slightly more difficult... There's a few cheese replacements available in supermarkets (eg: Violife) but I'm not a huge fan of them. I have high hopes for some of the artisan cashew based cheeses, such as Tyne chease (there's another Irish company doing similar cheeses afaik but i cant remember the name).

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I tried loads of different plan-based milks* for my cereal, porridge and matcha lattes and find the flavours greatly vary between different brands, so it's a bit of trial and error. If you only tried one milk alternative from one brand and didn't like you should try a different brand and see if that's nicer.

I find cashew milk great. It tastes quite neutral and is very creamy, I could imagine it's fine for tea and cereal.
    Macadamia milk is also very nice (but expensive).

Other than that I really like oat milk and rice milk, especially coconut rice milk (only from Promavel or Rice Dream, don't like any other brands).
    Some brands have added sugar though, just in case you have an issue with that.

I'm not a fan of almond or soy milk personally and I don't like the texture of some coconut drinks.

*should be called drinks rather than milk I guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There are a lot of non dairy milks to try, try cashew milk, delicious. We use a lot of unsweetened almond milk at work and I like that on me cereal etc. There are dozens to choose from, you'll like some and not others. There isn't any ethical cheese but you've made a great start by cutting down, just do the best you can. Generally I find non dairy cheese great on pizzas and toasties, try out the likes of violife or sheese and see if you like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I personally love the unroasted almond milk, especially in my coffee and cereal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I am a long time vegetarian and still go back and forth with my dairy consumption. I have never found a decent milk substitute for tea...and not for the lack of trying. I now just take a drop of milk in my tea in the morning and thats it.

I dont use milk at all otherwise. Maybe thats not the answer your looking for but i never found anything that worked well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I personally love the unroasted almond milk, especially in my coffee and cereal.

You can taste the difference in roasted and unroasted almond milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

You can taste the difference in roasted and unroasted almond milk?

I can anyway.

Advertisement