Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on becoming an independent Applied Maths teacher?

Options
  • 26-03-2017 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

What would one need to do to become an independent Applied Maths teacher for the LC course?

Assuming that one is familiar with the material of the course itself, how would one go about advertising this teaching service in the best possible way?

I understand that it is usually a subject taught once/twice a week outside of school.

I don't personally work in a school, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use a classroom within a school to carry out a weekly/bi-weekly class?

Does anyone have experience in this area? Has anyone here taught applied maths on a weekly basis to students that doesn't work in a certified institution?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

ShoePolish wrote: »
    Hi all,

What would one need to do to become an independent Applied Maths teacher for the LC course?

Assuming that one is familiar with the material of the course itself, how would one go about advertising this teaching service in the best possible way?

I understand that it is usually a subject taught once/twice a week outside of school.

I don't personally work in a school, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use a classroom within a school to carry out a weekly/bi-weekly class?

Does anyone have experience in this area? Has anyone here taught applied maths on a weekly basis to students that doesn't work in a certified institution?

Thanks for your time!

So to make it clear - you want to do grinds and a school to provide the building etc.? If so, I think you're out of luck.

Any students studying applied maths will probably be studying it in school so they will have a teacher already.

I can't find the number of students who sit applied maths but I don't think the uptake is great - I'm not sure so feel free to correct me.

In order to work in a school, you have to be Garda Vetted and registered by the Teaching Council and it's the Teaching Council who carry out the Garda Vetting so you won't be allowed to teach in a school. All visitors into schools have to provide vetting from their own institution.

Have you tried third level?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

You'll make a fortune doing applied maths grinds in dub area, especially if you combo it with HL maths/physics.

Advertisement