Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Native Irish bees

• 26-03-2017 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I came across a link to the native Irish bee society.

It had never even struck me that the bees we see around the place weren't original. What is the difference between native irish and others? Why don't more people have the native version?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Native Irish bees are European dark bees (Apis mellifera mellifera), which were once common in Europe. They are native to Ireland in a sense that they had thousands of years to adapt to the specific local conditions (after the end of the last ice age). However, in most of Europe the dark bee is no longer present as it has become mixed with other strains of bees. Mixed strains are consequences of breeding programs to make bees more productive or more manageable by crossing different sub-species of bees. 

As far as I know, hobbyist bee-keepers in Ireland prefer to breed dark bees, but it is legal to import bees from UK/EU (notably the Buckfast variety).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Just a comment on importing: that's a good way to help wipe out bees in Ireland. The Varroa mite came in that way and presumably the Small Hive Beetle will arrive that way too. Instead get them from a good breeder in Ireland.

There are plenty of breeders of native black bees, and there's a handful of folk who do quality Buckfasts so there's no reason to go abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

bpmurray wrote: »
    There are plenty of breeders of native black bees.

Is there though? There's always massive demand for overwintered nucs and some people seem think there isn't enough.
    Then there's also a huge amount of people who think a nuc of bees should only cost them in or around €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thelord

Imagine Nucs for 30 euro lol best price I found last year was 170 euro

• Advertisement
Advertisement