Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Mothers Day

Options
  • 26-03-2017 1:58pm

Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers and grandmothers on AH, I'm away from my own at the moment but the vouchers and flowers have been delivered and appreciated and I'm glad I have my mum around to spoil still.

She's a serious woman and my dad is the joker of the pair, but she's also the cleverest person I've ever known and I've great respect for her as well as affection. My Granny is another gem who is one of the most pragmatic and perceptive people I'll ever know, and an absolute well of love and affection. I'm luck to have both of them.

For anyone who's mother has passed, especially if recently, I hope you're doing okay today and it gets easier in the future.

For anyone who's mother was less than she should have or could have been as a parent, I hope you're doing okay and it gets easier for you too.

Hugs to anyone feeling a loss today. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Am far from my mammy for the first time ever on mother's day but ensured she got spoiled. Was talking to my youngest son (19 years old) who is in his grandparents for the weekend and he told me he got my mum a card and flowers. That was the best mother's day gift he could give me...showing me I brought him up well enough to be kind and thoughtful to his other mammy.

I always include the granny in the gifting, she's a big part of my life. She also appreciates the opportunity to very subtly boast about how her grandchildren spoil her. My mum has her out for the day in Dublin, and my mum is having her own day out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My mam is suffering from a kidney infection so she's all cooped up at home. She told me to get out and enjoy the sun! She loved her card though and I hope she'll like her present when it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Ah mother's day. Where my mother acknowledge's my brothers partner over her own daughter. Fcuk right off mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Delighted that shops are now stocking cards that say "Mam" instead of "Mom" or "Mum". I love my Mammy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Did nothing for my mother and don't want her to see as it would haunt me.

Said a prayer for her though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Mine is in a nursing home. I'll see her tomorrow. No presents, just me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I wasn't expecting anything for Mothers Day, but my counsellor got me a big pot plant thingy, along with a lovely card saying that she was using it as an analogy, that if I care for the plant I'll see it grow and flourish alongside me on my journey, bla bla bla.

It was a lovely thought and all the rest, very sweet of her, I don't know what the fuck I'm meant to do with a plant though. Chances are I'll end up killing it, sooner rather than later. I wonder what that'll mean for her analogy! :eek:

Didn't get me own ma anything yet, won't be seeing her for a couple of weeks so I have time!

I did get to spend most of the weekend with my little boy, so that was nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Logistics now all sorted. Gift for my own Ma and gift each for both of my sons for their Ma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Sent some flowers to the old dear. Will see her in a couple of weeks and give her a treat.
    Lovely to see so many families out and about together today. 2 and 3 generations enjoying each others company.

• Advertisement

I got mam a card and little pressie. I brought them over to her yesterday. She was in bed with her eyes closed and mumbling incoherently. There was zero awareness from her that I was there, her eyes remained closed, the card and pressie have no meaning to her.

It's still important to me to give her some little thing because it's a way of remembering how it used to be, how she used to be.
    Love you mammy x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Didn't see mum at all today, but gave her her gifts during the week
    (I was away at a funeral today)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Candie wrote: »
    I always include the granny in the gifting, she's a big part of my life. She also appreciates the opportunity to very subtly boast about how her grandchildren spoil her. My mum has her out for the day in Dublin, and my mum is having her own day out next week.

Similar in our family, got Mum card and flowers, and a card for Granny. Granny commented why is he getting me a card, although between 6 children, about 18 grandchildren, great grandkids, and a dog, the window sill, mantlepeice, and cabinet will be crammed full of them today. Working all weekend so may take a spin up up and surprise them both.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

My mother is in hospital so that's where I saw her today. Brought her chocolates and flowers. Mam is not well but not very ill either. Lots of nurses working today are mammies. Didn't really think of that myself. My mother gave her box of chocolates out to nurses station with note saying Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers giving up their family day for us.

Brought lump to my throat really.

My mother is in hospital so that's where I saw her today. Brought her chocolates and flowers. Mam is not well but not very ill either. Lots of nurses working today are mammies. Didn't really think of that myself. My mother gave her box of chocolates out to nurses station with note saying Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers giving up their family day for us.

Brought lump to my throat really.

Your mum's a sweetheart, Claire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Mom died in 2008, 2 years before I met my now wife. Was at the in laws today, got up this morning to make brekkie, partook in the gift giving- nothing major but really appreciated. She asked me why I was treating her so I told her that a mother in law is a mother and it's a day for mothers. Now eat your croissant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Am miles away from the mammy again this year so sent her a little present. Sent her a mug with a map of canada on one side , Ireland on the other and saying 'miles apart but always in my heart'. Sent her a card that had all pictures of the 2 of us or her and my niece.

Made her cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

This was the first year I didn't get a card from my fur baby. He somehow always managed to get me a card and present. I did plant flowers on his grave and said a prayer for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Have cut myself away from my mother in recent times. Found the day kind of tough but it had to be done for my own health.

We gave her enough chances to quit the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

anna080 wrote: »
    Delighted that shops are now stocking cards that say "Mam" instead of "Mom" or "Mum". I love my Mammy

Yep, can confirm that Mammy & Mom cards can be seen on the shelves too :)

Wiki-other names for Mother

In American English, other common words for mother are "Mom," "Mommy," Momma" and "Ma." In British English, "Mum" and "Mummy" are usually used instead of "Mom" and "Mommy". Another variant, often found in the North of England, particularly Yorkshire and Lancashire, is "Mam". In Australian English, "Mum", "Mother", "Mummy" and "Mother dearest". In Indonesian, "Ibu", "Emak", "Bunda". In Filipino, "Nanay", "Ina" Madre is Mother in Spanish. Mamma or Mor is Mother in Norwegian. Mater is Mother in Latin. ' Mutter is Mother in German. Mat is Mother in Russian. Edit In Ireland "Mum", "Mam", "Mummy", "Mammy", "Mom" (american), and "Ma" are to be heard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement