Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is McArdle's ale still available?

Options
  • 25-03-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering if McArdle's is still available ?
    I d like to try it again , last time I saw it was in cans .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

biblio wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just wondering if McArdle's is still available ?
    I d like to try it again , last time I saw it was in cans .

It is. Some pubs will have bottles of it. It is available in a lot of off licences too. Super value seem to carry it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Available by the pint bottle in my local, they get their supply from Musgraves.

Dunnes sell it in cans. They sold bottles as well for a few weeks last year but dropped them fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think I saw it in mulligans poolbeg st a few months ago

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I think I saw bottles in Tesco last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Yes you can get it from Musgraves and a few other places if you look around. Best drank from bottles. Most pubs have it in Wexford. It’s becoming more popular down in Wexford apparently because of the lack of a hangover from it for younger people. That and a pint bottle is only 176 calories so it’s less than plenty other drinks.

The fewer ingredients the better for you too. Heno has over 200 ingredients to put it into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah, it's not too different

I've enjoyed it in my time, and if I found myself in a place with absolutely no options other than Diageo products, I'd probably buy at least a couple of pint bottles of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There used to be an old gag...

Are Dundalk people anti-Semitic?

No, they just prefer McArdles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anything to back up the 200 ingredients claim?

Sounds a bit urban mythical to me, a bit like the claim that Mc Donald's chips contain no pototo (which is complete nonsense).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Or indeed the claim that Macardles has fewer than 200 of them. A guy in my local said Macardles has 204 ingredients. Hard to know who to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

water, malt, hops, yeast, human blood... what are the other 199 ingredients?

Well, in a highly processed industrial beer like Macardles, yeast is a process aid, not an ingredient, as there's none left in the finished product. Among the remaining 200 are foam enhancers, antioxidants, clarifying agents, caramel, begrudgery and resentfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

also as it's from Louth, traces of semtex and washed diesel.

It's amazing that they kept that after production moved to Dublin. Such a commitment to consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On an unrelated post, have Diageo ceased canning this ale of as many as 203 ingredients? I only ask because I had a sentimental goo for it recently and noticed that it was bottles only.

I'd say everyone is running down their can stocks ahead of the deposit scheme starting next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

I’ve not seen it in Dunnes in cans in months and my local off license had it in the large bottles only but in the last few weeks I haven’t seen any. Really hope to see it again soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Let's say for the sake of argument that I know someone who doesn't get that joke...

• Advertisement

If you've had a severe head injury you might pronounce "Smithwick's" similar to "Semitic".

That's a stretch!

Or maybe I don't know enough brain damaged Dundalk people.

I didn't say it was a good joke, but it just about meets the minimum technical requirements to actually be a joke.

Wasn't your joke, you merely, helpfully, explained it. Your humour reputation is intact!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a video of someone (in the 80s) delivering it in a cod Dundalk accent where it almost works. Formatted as a US news reporter going to Dundalk to voxpop people about anti-semitism and the punchline "no, I just prefer the taste of Macardles"

Advertisement