Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cystoscopy recovery

Options
  • 25-03-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭

I'm being told I need a cystoscopy but I'm wondering roughly how long will I need off work. I was hoping just the day of the test and a day after but is that realistic?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mod note
    No medical advice allowed here
    Ask your Doctor
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Without going into medical specifics, but from experience (Rob, feel free to say so if you deem inappropriate)

Day case (in morning, out afternoon)
    General anaesthetic used
    Discomfort for a few hours only

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Gael23 wrote: »
    I'm being told I need a cystoscopy but I'm wondering roughly how long will I need off work. I was hoping just the day of the test and a day after but is that realistic?
    Only your urologist can give you a proper estimate. For the majority of people I f it's just a scope +/- sedation 12-24hrs, scope under general 24 hours, TURBT depends on how extensive it is. Depending on what your urologist finds you could be admitted for further treatment or tests.
    Good luck on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

If it's a flexible cystoscope, it's likely only a local anaesthetic would be used, and one could potentially go back to work same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Runanddance

Hi I'm due to have a rigid cystoscopy tomorrow morning under general anaesthetic. I'm so scared about it and haven't slept in days. I've never even been in hospital before never mind under general anaesthetic . On top of that I've just got my period so tomorrow will be my heaviest day. I rang to cancel but they said it's important I go ahead as it's necessary procedure. I just feel I'll have no control or dignity. I was anxious before but now I'm feeling awful. I know it seems stupid and trivial but if anyone has any experience I'd love to hear. I just need some reassurance.
    Thanks for reading.

• Advertisement

Hi I'm due to have a rigid cystoscopy tomorrow morning under general anaesthetic. I'm so scared about it and haven't slept in days. I've never even been in hospital before never mind under general anaesthetic . On top of that I've just got my period so tomorrow will be my heaviest day. I rang to cancel but they said it's important I go ahead as it's necessary procedure. I just feel I'll have no control or dignity. I was anxious before but now I'm feeling awful. I know it seems stupid and trivial but if anyone has any experience I'd love to hear. I just need some reassurance.
    Thanks for reading.

It's absolutely not stupid or trivial, lots of people fear hospitals and fear anything medical happening to them - even medical professionals!
    When you go in go to reception to check in. You'll fill in some paperwork and after you're checked in a nurse or assistant will come and bring you to the ward. They'll ask you to change and when you're changed a nurse will come check your wristband, blood pressure, etc. Talk to her/him, tell them how nervous you are, how unfamiliar it all is.
    You'll need a lift home and a night or two to recover from the anaesthetic

And good luck!

Thanks so much for your reassuring words. No one is explaining anything. I'm feeling scared all right and when I rang the consultant he made no effort to calm me. Just my luck to get my period. It's making the anixety much worse 😢

Thanks so much for your reassuring words. No one is explaining anything. I'm feeling scared all right and when I rang the consultant he made no effort to calm me. Just my luck to get my period. It's making the anixety much worse 😢

Honestly having your period is nothing to them. They've worked with patients who have never washed, patients with fecal matter leaking into their bladder and other unimaginable things that would horrify you but be routine to them.

It's all very ordinary to the consultant. It's what he does several times a day every working day. Hes an expert at it. He's almost bored of it. That familiarity alienates him from your point of view - they're polar opposites! He still cares though and will do everything he can to help you.

The scope is the best way to see what's going on in the bladder. Depending on what's there they might take some tissue to look at it under a microscope. The consultant will talk to you immediately after or on the ward to let you know what he saw and what his expertise makes him think.it is.
    When you wake up you'll probably have a catheter, there may be a bag like a big IV connected to it. You'll be uncomfortable but there shouldn't be a lot of pain. You'll go back to the ward. They'll want you to pass urine without the catheter and to have normal temperature, blood pressure etc before they let you home.

Bring an overnight bag just in case with slippers and dressing gown. Stuff to.read and distract yourself.
    The worst part is the waiting. Honestly!

Thanks for that :)

Advertisement