Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info for newbies

Options
  • 25-03-2017 8:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Apologies if a new thread annoys someone but if looking for a few different things for information on.

I've been following it about 12 months now and I'm up to speed on the basics so that's about it.

I'm looking for links for best beginners guides, best podcasts (that don't focus on mainly stats but mostly news?) also, I'm a Yankees fan so any guides/sites/etc you'd reccomend for me would also be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

gstack166 wrote: »
    Apologies if a new thread annoys someone but if looking for a few different things for information on.

I've been following it about 12 months now and I'm up to speed on the basics so that's about it.

I'm looking for links for best beginners guides, best podcasts (that don't focus on mainly stats but mostly news?) also, I'm a Yankees fan so any guides/sites/etc you'd reccomend for me would also be appreciated! Thanks!

Baseball tonight with buster Olney podcast is good. Mostly news and interviews with players, managers, GM's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

gstack166 wrote: »

There's a great book called 'Watching Baseball Smarter' that I found very useful after I'd figured out the basics. It's by a bloke called Zach Hample who I have since found out is a bit of a dick but the book is still well worth reading.

I too listen to Baseball Today. It's ok and Buster Olney is a good host and I like some of the regular guests (Keith Law, Jerry Krasnick, Jason Stark) but it's a bit too nice if I'm being honest. They seem afraid to criticise anyone too hard, probably in case they offend the player/manager/team in question so the analysis can be a bit safe. And every player is a good guy who 'plays the game the right way'. Saying something contentious or controversial or calling someone out every now and then would be nice.

I haven't found the perfect podcast yet but others I listen to are 'The Strike Zone' from SI and 'The MLB Show' from The Ringer. They're only weekly and are slightly better in their analysis. I also listened to 'Baseball America' for a while but they do a lot of college podcasts and draft stuff that I have no interest in.

I'm a Mets fan and found tonnes of Mets podcasts in iTunes. Some are good, some are rubbish so I'd imagine it's the same for Yankee specific ones. So with a bit of trial and error, you should be able to get a few decent ones to listen to. Likewise with fan blog websites.

Advertisement