Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarifier blade attatchment on mower

Options
  • 25-03-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Garden is full of moss. It's big area so electric ones avail in lidl etc are not an option. Googled petrol ones but they're in or around the 400 mark. During my search i noticed a blade you attach to your lawnmower. You simply remove the cutting blade on the mower and replace with this. Anybody tried these? Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

They do a good job, be careful of height setting.
    It will look pretty bad when you're finished, but will soon recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Wait for a dry spell, probably May time. Treat the lawn with iron sulphate and allow to die for a few days.

Then hire a custom scarifier from a hire centre. As stated above it will look awful and you will have a load of moss to get rid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Post a link to the scarifier attachment you found 'cos I don't think they are made for rotary mowers, only cylinder ones.

What size is your lawn? Try renting if an electric is insufficient.

You could also apply some mosskiller (or 3 in 1 type thing) and when the moss dies, draw a rake behind you to loosen some of it and pick it up with the mower after.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Hi all. Garden is full of moss. It's big area so electric ones avail in lidl etc are not an option. Googled petrol ones but they're in or around the 400 mark. During my search i noticed a blade you attach to your lawnmower. You simply remove the cutting blade on the mower and replace with this. Anybody tried these? Any good?

I've used on of these on my 21" cut rotary type lawn mower. It did a pretty good job removed a lot of moss.

The fault I found with the blade was how quickly the two tines that scarify the lawn wear away. I've a pretty big garden and by the second pass the spring tines were worn to short to remove some of the moss in the worst areas of the lawn.

Next time I scarify I'll be hiring a proper machine for a day and hopefully I'll be able to remove all the moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Took the plunge and bought the attachment. 20 euro incl delivery. Simple to fit and wow am i impressed. Delighted with it. It's after doing an amazing job on the section I've done ( bout 200m2) some amount of moss and thatch pulled up. I've ran the mower over it to collect the moss. Filled the bag about 10 times. Have to say the lawn doesn't look as bad as i feared it would. I know it will recover quickly too. Could i put some 10 10 20 or 7 whatever whatever on it to give it a kick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Took the plunge and bought the attachment. 20 euro incl delivery. Simple to fit and wow am i impressed. Delighted with it. It's after doing an amazing job on the section I've done ( bout 200m2) some amount of moss and thatch pulled up. I've ran the mower over it to collect the moss. Filled the bag about 10 times. Have to say the lawn doesn't look as bad as i feared it would. I know it will recover quickly too. Could i put some 10 10 20 or 7 whatever whatever on it to give it a kick?

A bit of 10 10 20 will do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A bit of 10 10 20 will do no harm.

There's too much nitrogen in 10 10 20 for a lawn, 7 6 17+P will give a better result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Have approx 2/3 acre lawn and thought them electric scarifiers would be no good so got myself a blade attachment for my rotary petrol mower. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!! 20 min to swap out the blade, tines were worn as a previous poster said after the first few min so another 20 min putting the old blade back on.  Got one of these electric scarifiers from argos and it is the bees knees. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3565683
    2 hrs and had lawn scarified. Would have took me that time to go into town to hire a petrol one out and then bring it back. That was last Summer.  Did a few light passes with it in Aug and again in late sept.  Lawn has never looked so good.  Did a light pass with it this wknd and moss is history before it even thinks of coming back.  PS To poster that said 10 10 20.  You do not want to put that on your lawn.  Granted you will have a lush green lawn for a month or two but then because the PH of your soil will have been affected if you don't add lime or at least have your soil tested for its PH then you will be over run with moss in no time.  If you have never put lime in your lawn then it is almost certain that it needs it.

Have approx 2/3 acre lawn and thought them electric scarifiers would be no good so got myself a blade attachment for my rotary petrol mower. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!! 20 min to swap out the blade, tines were worn as a previous poster said after the first few min so another 20 min putting the old blade back on.  Got one of these electric scarifiers from argos and it is the bees knees. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3565683
    2 hrs and had lawn scarified. Would have took me that time to go into town to hire a petrol one out and then bring it back. That was last Summer.  Did a few light passes with it in Aug and again in late sept.  Lawn has never looked so good.  Did a light pass with it this wknd and moss is history before it even thinks of coming back.  PS To poster that said 10 10 20.  You do not want to put that on your lawn.  Granted you will have a lush green lawn for a month or two but then because the PH of your soil will have been affected if you don't add lime or at least have your soil tested for its PH then you will be over run with moss in no time.  If you have never put lime in your lawn then it is almost certain that it needs it.

Contradicts my experience with my one... Took less than a minute to change blades and it's done a savage job

Prob would have been a good job if the tines had been made of a harder steel,  instead of the soft metal it seems they were made from.  @celticbhoy, Ye got any link for the one you've used?

• Advertisement

Prob would have been a good job if the tines had been made of a harder steel,  instead of the soft metal it seems they were made from.  @celticbhoy, Ye got any link for the one you've used?

http://eurosmallenginespares.com/lawnmower-scarifier-bruscutter-blades-heads-accessories/lawnmower-scarifier-de-thatching-moss-rotary-blade-16-17-18-19-detail

Looks very similar to the one I got. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031XX1Q8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ; Less than 10 min of use and the tines were gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Ordered attachment yesterday and received it in the post today thanks to your recommendation. Wow, that was quick! Did you get a manual to show how to put on tines properly etc celticbhoy? Just wondering what setting on your lawnmower you went with scarifying? Hopefully, I'll give it a go tomorrow evening

phkk wrote: »
    Ordered attachment yesterday and received it in the post today thanks to your recommendation. Wow, that was quick! Did you get a manual to show how to put on tines properly etc celticbhoy? Just wondering what setting on your lawnmower you went with scarifying? Hopefully, I'll give it a go tomorrow evening

No manual but it's straight forward. All i did was zoomed in on the pic, of the blade that i bought, on their website and it shows the position of the tines. It comes with lots of washers (too many from what i saw) i only used one. The one to attach the blade itself. The tines then hook in to the slots and are secured. I used it on the highest setting initially moving down i think two notches before i got it right. Make sure to start it on the grass as you don't want the tines to hit concrete/tarmac.. let us know how you go? Hope to give mine another go tomorrow too on the other sections I've left to do. That's if the rain buggers off

No manual but it's straight forward. All i did was zoomed in on the pic, of the blade that i bought, on their website and it shows the position of the tines. It comes with lots of washers (too many from what i saw) i only used one. The one to attach the blade itself. The tines then hook in to the slots and are secured. I used it on the highest setting initially moving down i think two notches before i got it right. Make sure to start it on the grass as you don't want the tines to hit concrete/tarmac.. let us know how you go? Hope to give mine another go tomorrow too on the other sections I've left to do. That's if the rain buggers off

Cheers Celticbhoy for prompt reply. Yeah, was thinking there were too many washers alright, that's good to know you only used a couple. Good thinking about concrete, could have been sparks in the garage! Yeah, will let you know how I get on. Plenty of rain should help grass recover though so you got it done at the right time. Forecast is to pick up next week and temperatures to increase which is good to hear. Sound anyways

Just a pic of how the tines slot in phk. Not same blade but same idea

Just a pic of how the tines slot in phk. Not same blade but same idea

That's great to have, now I get it! Thanks a million. Sound

Got the lawns scarified today after! Delighted with the job, was between two minds about dropping it another notch but decided against it. Pleasantly surprisesd with how tidy a job it is, I half expected the garden to be dug up! Have half it raked off, couldn't believe how much I'd taken off. Going to spread some seeds and compost mix tomorrow and then give it lawn feed in few weeks time. Hoping for a nice, green, full lawn for a change come summer time!!
    Cheers celticbhoy, great piece of equipment for that price. My brother going to do his tomoorow!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dar2054

Thinking of getting one of those blades. How long do they last. Does it take long for the grass to grow back?

Advertisement