Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance cancellation without notice

Options
  • 24-03-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I've had the AA cancel my insurance with, what I deem to be insufficient notice.

I purchased my insurance in full on the 9th of February for renewal on the 18th. Advised them on the phone that I was out of the country until the 18th so wouldn't be able to send in requested documentation until after I got home and received the letter. I was advised to put the documentation into the addressed envelope that would come with the letter. When I got home, no letter was there. I rang back on the 22nd and told them the letter hadn't arrived, so a second one was sent. It transpired that the first one had gone to a neighbour's house in error.

After receiving the second letter, I posted back the documentation on the 24th. The AA sent me a registered letter but I was away with work for a few days so wasn't around to sign and by the time my father went to get it, the letter was returned as the post office only held it for three days.

Since the 23rd of February, and the registered letter which I never received, and therefore had no idea who it was from, I've had no communication from the AA about my policy being cancelled until I received a text message today telling me my refund had been processed after cancellation of my policy. This was cancelled on the 19th but refund only sent today which I haven't received yet.

I'm being refunded far less than I'm owed due to them keeping 50 for the original set up fee and 50 for cancellation. I'm being redirected to sales for a new quote. The quote that's coming in is going to leave me 150 out of pocket. My argument is that, because the registered letter wasn't received, surely that nullifies the notice given, therefore they should not have cancelled my policy without attempting to contact me by phone or email, information that they have on their records. The AA are not cooperating with me and are insisting I pay the extra 150 euro for this new policy.

Where do I stand on this legally? Surely this is the AA's mistake. I'm currently without car insurance as a result of their error and bad business practice. They're insisting they didn't get my documentation, however I sent it but didn't register it, therefore no proof. As far as I was concerned, they received it and everything was hunky dory until I received the text message today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Motor Insurance forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Short answer is that the insurer is obliged to send a registered letter of cancellation to the last known address of the policyholder. There is no requirement on them to ensure it was received

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yep. I would see it as your responsibility to ensure you were covered OP. The insurer seems to have acted correctly.

Advertisement