Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agitation Speed Query

Options
  • 23-03-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

All, I would like to check something here:

We have an agitator to run at 20rpm. During an FAT the rpm was visually measured for 1 min to confirm this. A tachmeter was not used at the time.

We have a digital read out in Hz and prior to completing the FAT it was found that 40.3 Hz was equivalent to 20rpm.

However during PV one panel was set a 40.2Hz and a reading was taken to give 40.2Hz.

QA have now queried this reading, and the equivalence of Hz to rpm in the FAT. How can we address this.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

how did you calculate that 20rpm = 40.3Hz?

I just looked here ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_per_minute ) and it's different than how you calculated your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

CatFromHue wrote: »
    how did you calculate that 20rpm = 40.3Hz?

I just looked here ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_per_minute ) and it's different than how you calculated your number.

I know, and this is exactly what QA are asking, they are checking google too. I am perplexed as I do not have an understanding of the conversion, or if it can be converted.

The agitation is definitely 20rpm as we measured it visually, but the display has always been displaying 40.3Hz, is this an error, or is there something else at play here. I don't have an electrical background.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There should be a manual knocking about somewhere so I'd start with that and then, if needed, I'd check with the manufacturer of the device giving you the 40.3Hz and see how it's calculating that number?

I'd also check/re-check to make sure the device is fitted correctly.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There should be a manual knocking about somewhere so I'd start with that and then, if needed, I'd check with the manufacturer of the device giving you the 40.3Hz and see how it's calculating that number?

I'd also check/re-check to make sure the device is fitted correctly.

I have the manuals, I will check this, this morning. Hope your right on shedding light in this direction.

Fitting correctly, I don't believe this is an issue. We have 2 control panels and each panel has 2 VSDs. How this came to light was 3 of the VSDs were set to 40.3 Hz and one was set at 40.2Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

40.2 or 40.3 Hz would normally suggest something rotating very fast indeed - a bit more than 40 times a second (obviously). Whatever the 40.3 Hz setting is referring to, it's definitely not referring to the component that you observe to be rotating once per second.

What kind of agitator is this, and can you describe its action? Does it include a gearing mechanism which steps down rotary motion from a motor, so that the observed component rotates more slowly than the motor? Something of that kind?

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    40.2 or 40.3 Hz would normally suggest something rotating very fast indeed - a bit more than 40 times a second (obviously). Whatever the 40.3 Hz setting is referring to, it's definitely not referring to the component that you observe to be rotating once per second.

What kind of agitator is this, and can you describe its action? Does it include a gearing mechanism which steps down rotary motion from a motor, so that the observed component rotates more slowly than the motor? Something of that kind?

Peregrinus, the agitator is a vertical shaft with an impeller at the end. It sits into a mobile vessel. The motor is vertically mounted on top of the vessel. I think you have hit the nail on the head. Is there some sort of 'reducer' mechanism that would reduce the speed of the shaft. I can only take a guess that there is a gear mechanism within this motor, I need to check this this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Patww79 do you have any good link, even from google that could demonstrate this. QA are looking for an answer on this. Do you have a link showing how a 'reducer' if there is such a thing would reduce the speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Advertisement