Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dexter Worth Watching?

Options
  • 23-03-2017 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of watching it but I've heard that it declines in quality after a while and has a poor ending. Is it still worth watching?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Suas11 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of watching it but I've heard that it declines in quality after a while and has a poor ending. Is it still worth watching?

First few seasons are brilliant. I got about half way through the last season and gave up as it was so bad.

Still, you should watch it for sure until you get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Watch the first five seasons. Don't bother after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watch from the start and then stop watching after John Lithgow's season.

I think that was season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Oh watch it, it's brilliant. Season 4 is easily the best - John Lithgow is unbelievable. Season 5 is pretty decent too. I'd stop after 6 if I were you. The last season is actually embarrassingly bad, especially the season finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Watch from the start and then stop watching after John Lithgow's season.

I think that was season 4.

Yep it was. Brilliant season. All downhill after that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I only watched until season 4 and feel it was a pretty good season to end on. Don't really feel like I'm missing out not watching the rest. I think a lot of people feel that season 4 would have been a pretty good end to the series overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Dexter seasons 1-4 are great. The golden age of TV. 5 is good, after that see what you think but finale is very disappointing. Actually the worst finale out of all the shows I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭6541

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 72,115 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Dexter Fletcher?

He was good in 'Bugsy Malone'.

I'll see myself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

4 is the best season of all, so up until that point is essential viewing, although personally I found S3 very weak.

The problem is, despite the massive drop in quality from that point on, it's very hard to walk away at season 4 knowing there are four further seasons.

I consider S5 bad, S6 watchable, S7 a slight return to form with buckets of potential and then S8 is absolute dogshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,720 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Brilliant show that just ran on a little too much. Season 1-5 stunning!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not really, no - and definitely not if you're someone who can't drop out because after season 4 there's a big quality drop. Season 7 raises it a little again but the final season is utter insulting crap.

If you do watch, then seasons one, two and four are strong and three is good. Plenty of other shows out there with much higher quality averages over the course of their run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd say 1, 2 and 4 were the best with season 2 being the best. Season 1 was based on Darkly Dreaming Dexter which is the best of the novels, the others being complete and utter drivel. Season 2 took off in a different dimension thankfully. Three had very poor pacing. Lithgow managed to give the show a boost in season 4. I don't remember anything after season 4. Yvonne Strahovski was just about enough to make it barely watchabale. I never bothered with the final season, opting instead to google the ending.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think its definitely a contender for worst ever series finale. It didn't help that breaking bad ended around same time which showed how to truly end a show

Advertisement