Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottled Beer versus draft - less of a hang over ?

Options
  • 23-03-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭

Is bottled beer purer ?

I'm noticing on holidays recovery time is a lot quicker and I only drinking non draft beer.

Anyone else notice a difference in hangovers with bottled versus draft

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

You may be drinking the bottles slower, I know I drink faster from a glass, apart from that no, alcohol is alcohol.
    That's pretty much all you need to know but this thread will still go on for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Are you drinking more water while on hols?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Plus temperature changes your metabolism. It even changes your taste buds.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You are on holiday that's why

I was the same on holidays, reckon the sleep and good weather helps.

Also are you drinking loads more bottles than pints? A lot of places do 300ml bottles which are pretty much half the size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Could be absolute waffle, but I remember being told that with a pint you're effectively inhaling the alcohol fumes which are getting you drunker faster.

Volume is volume, and it could depend on a few factors. Full / empty stomach, metabolism etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't know what it is about pints but they knock you back more than bottles.
    We all know bottles have a smaller amount compared to a pint but not taking about that...

Get a cold pint and they go down easy. So yeah I'd say bottles give you a less hang over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭worded

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Are you drinking more water while on hols?

Not really

I think there is a higher chance of getting a bad pint than a bad bottle of beer

There are a lot of variables that can happen the product from a keg that the brewer can't control

Dirty lines, glasses with residual dishwasher contaminants etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Thinly veiled, I'm on holidays and drinking thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

check if the bottled stuff is non-alcoholic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

check if the bottled stuff is non-alcoholic

non-alcoholic beer will give you the worst hang over of all. The **** that gives you a hang-over (not directly related to dehydration) is still present in non-intoxicating beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

non-alcoholic beer will give you the worst hang over of all. The **** that gives you a hang-over (not directly related to dehydration) is still present in non-intoxicating beer.

One of the dumbest posts I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Not necessarily. I brew my own beer and i know that they add alot more Sulphites to non-alcoholic beer as a preservative. This was even confirmed to me by a brewer for the porterhouse.

Sulphites do add to the hangover.

Can't be, have you seen Trumps tweets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

me_irl wrote: »
    Could be absolute waffle, but I remember being told that with a pint you're effectively inhaling the alcohol fumes which are getting you drunker faster.

No, no, I think you might be on to something there, do elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Come on you must read you're own posts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congener_(alcohol)

No, no, I think you might be on to something there, do elaborate

Well, I heard from a lad down the local that his dad worked for diageo and... Where was I? Yeah, so back in 'nam we had to drink beer cos it was more sterile than the water... and... wait no.

I'd say it's volume. More in a pint and you down it faster to make sure it doesn't go stale or warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Always thought the hangover from bottled miller was terrible. Draft heineken is also fairly bad. Drink Guinness. No hangover really but you stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Maybe because drinking out of a bottle is such a crap way to drink anything you enjoy pints more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Tefral wrote: »
    This was even confirmed to me by a brewer for the porterhouse.

I'd say of the top 10 hangovers that I've had, 7 of them were from Porterhouse Beers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

This needs more hands on research. I am on it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Top reasons for not having as much of a hangover on holidays.

1. Motivation - You are motivated to get out of bed in the morning so think you have less of a hangover.

2. Consumption - You tend to drink throughout the day so while you consume a lot of alcohol your body processes it over a longer period of time rather than smashing back 7 pints between 8pm-1am like you would back home.

3. Quality of alcohol - Depending on your holiday destination the local beer is probably quite a low percentage 3-4% vs a normal Irish pint is about 5%

4. Bottles - If you drink bottles than you will drink far less than if you drink pints. You need to drink 12 bottles to equate to 7 pints. Its all in your head. I noticed this myself after i moved to London where a can of 440ml is very common and the standard 500ml less so. While at home id bring 6x500ml to a house party i started bringing 6x440.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

I've heard so many things about what gives you hangovers / the worst hangovers. Mixing drinks, red wine, spirits, the chemicals in mass produced beers. The common denominator though is alcohol. The more alcohol I drink, the worse my hangover.

The other factors that actually make a difference are water and to a lesser extent food. If you don't drink water your dehydration will be much worse which is most of what a hangover is anyway. Similarly with food, you need it to replace the sugar you use breaking down the alcohol.

But as regards whether the alcohol in a bottle is better than the alcohol from draft - seriously, if you want to drink just do it. No need to justify it on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭worded

Will do more research and report back ....

It's tough work but someone has to do it

Hiiiiiic

Advertisement