Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Authorize a friend to sell my car

Options
  • 23-03-2017 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I would like to authorize a friend of mine to sell my car because I am not going to be here for a while. Could you recommend a template for this? Could we have any problem when we try to sell it in this way?

Furthermore for me it seems the Irish car market is really stagnating. Do you have any experience how long does it take to sell a used car on the market privately? I know it depends on the model of the car the odometer etc. However you might be able to give me some example based on your experiences.

Many Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There is no formal way to do it. The 'informal way' is to sign the log book (Not that it really matters as there is zero way to check the signature on it is indeed yours) and leave it with the person selling the car. Then, have them flog it, explaining the situation. If you wanted to go a step further, leave a signed note stating your name, the name of the person selling it and your expressed permission to sell the car on your behalf. That covers nigh all basis but has little strict legal standing, its up to the person buying to decide if they are happy with it.

Honestly though, thats all overkill, as most people have no idea how to buy a car and very few know about the procedure with a log book. So I could in theory sell your car and few would check that I wasn't indeed you. You should also be aware that 'selling on behalf' of someone screams dodgy to most people, rightly so, so it could effect your ability to sell. I'd maybe leave that detail off the ad, so you have the ability to explain in person.

As regards the car market, entirely dependent on what you are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Just pick a friend you trust and have them sell it on 'their' behalf. If i was in the market for a car and the seller told me they were selling it for a friend who had left the country and here is the letter authorising them to sell it i would be instantly weary of the whole thing - not saying i wouldn't buy the car but it wouldn't be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it's a cheapie just transfer it into the name of the person selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You don't need to draw up a template to sell a car. Like says above you sign the VLC and give it your friend. I would be horrified and probably refuse if a friend asked me to sell their car and then presented me with paper work/agreement on the sale and I suspect most people would be the same. It's a simple process so don't complicate it by making templates or documents of rules etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

well as soon as I see an advert with selling for friend who is out of the country, I swiftly move along.

• Advertisement
Advertisement