Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking a phone

Options
  • 23-03-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I'm not that up with technology so I thought I'd ask the good people of After Hours about this.

It came up in work today that a woman gets phone calls and text messages from her ex husband saying "I know you're in Letterkenny" or wherever and stuff like that. I suggested that he may be using some sort of phonefinder app like Find My iPhone to track her. Is this possible and if so how does she stop it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

She needs to change her Apple ID password, or disable location services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm not sure if this will help but my phone will show the area from which a call is coming from.
    Its not an app, just a feature of the phone I have.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Once you have the apple id an password, it's easy to track a phone. As mentioned above, change her settings and see does it continue.

The handset itself can't be identified as being in an area like a geographic number can.

I would also advise the husband to stop contacting her (if that's an option - no kids etc) , or at least advise him that you will be contacting the gardai in regard to stalking.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Disable location services and change apple password.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

He could also be using phonetrace.org, that's pretty accurate up to about 1km

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

griffdaddy wrote: »
    He could also be using phonetrace.org, that's pretty accurate up to about 1km

Is that going to show me a picture of a monkey at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

He could have installed a tracker app
    Either way the good folks in
    Android Devices
    Apple Devices
    can help with details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Your Face wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this will help but my phone will show the area from which a call is coming from.
    Its not an app, just a feature of the phone I have.

Landlines only, and I'm pretty sure that's more a network feature than a phone feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Does she ever post on social media or even in private messages using her location?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Find friends is probably activated on her phone if it's an iPhone ...she has to authorise which friends are able to see her location but her ex must have had access to her phone at some point...this only takes a few seconds to set up.
    Make sure she has that turned off and location to off .
    She can check on the find friends app who she is sharing her location with..
    This app will give him the exact address of his ex wife...
    The only time I use this app is going to concerts with a group of friends or on holidays it's very handy when you need to find someone in a large crowd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement