Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Email from Ireland-genealogy.com

Options
  • 23-03-2017 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭

Heads up guys, just got this in my email

Au2CE1L.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

anyone else get a strange Email which appears to come from ireland-genealogy.com ?
    They used be called pensear.org and had old age age pension search results. I just received what looks like a subscription notification for nearly £180 (STG) which I did not sign up for. I did subscribe at one stage years ago, but definitely not recently...

I'm guessing it's spam, or they've been hacked.. it has some strange servers mentioned in the header, but comes via a reasonable looking email distribution service (MailChimp)

EDIT - Ireland-Genealogy.com got back to me very quickly to assure me it's fake.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mailchimp has free options, if I remember right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mod note: threads merged.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

seems a very targeted email - I'm guessing just to people who previously subscribed or appear to have an interest in genealogy

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I got this as well. Fortunately I was able to dismiss it as spam straight away as I no longer have a Visa, which is what card they claimed they were charging.

This sort of thing will ensnare a ton of people though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement