Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a Huawei E5372-1207

Options
  • 23-03-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I'm using this with Meteor Mobile Broadband, receiving their LTE signal and getting typically 16Mbps down, 6 up.
    It is in the attic using a Solwise 4G dual antenna, plugged into a USB charger.
    We are single storey and the 2 storey house next door is directly in line with the mast. I was eventually able to find a sweet spot.
    As far as I know, this is an early 4G device.
    I am wondering if a more current device would give me better results, but I'm struggling to work out which are the later models.
    Would the E5186 or E5786 be options?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Unless Meteor has 4G+ in your area, you will probably not get any improvement with E5786.

As the E5186 is a desktop router, it could have better radio hardware since it does not have the very limited space of MiFi units to fit the electronics. This is especially the case when using the internal antennas as the desktop routers have larger internal antennas. Even with your external antenna, there will be slightly less signal loss with using SMA connectors compared to the tiny TS9 connectors along with the SMA adapters to fit the MiFi antenna ports.

The E5186 will likely provide better Wi-Fi coverage and has Ethernet ports. For example, you could use Homeplug adapters to connect a desktop PC directly to the router.

If your antenna is in the loft, I suggest trying it outside such as temporarily up a ladder. Moving the antenna outside will likely provide better performance than getting a new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Thanks, some good ideas.
    Have you broken the code for Huawei devices? Some are Bxxx, E51xx, E53xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

PS Apparently the B525 is the replacement for the E5186.
    Does anyone know if that is suitable for Ireland? I can't see it for sale except Poland and Russia!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

The Huawei series doesn't seem to have any pattern with its model numbers, other than what follows the '-' refers to variant of that router, e.g. B593u-12 is a cut-down version of the B593s-22.

Both Russian and Poland use LTE bands 3 and 20 (in addition to others), which means it should work fine with all the Irish 4G networks. However, unless they are sold SIM free, it will probably be a while before the first used ones become available, particularly if sellers have trouble network unlocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No Gigabit
    No 5Ghz
    LTE CAT3 not 10 or 12

For that kind of money you may as well future proof at least a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

ED E wrote: »
    No Gigabit
    No 5Ghz
    LTE CAT3 not 10 or 12

For that kind of money you may as well future proof at least a little.

Just making a recommendation based on my own experience.

See attached speedtest...3Irl sim on 3G Network tonight. (No 4G coverage here)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 qir

Advertisement