Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove size & choice

Options
  • 23-03-2017 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Im wondering whats the best stove for me to get for my house, I have looked at the stanley range and dont mind paying the extra money as they're known as top of the range lol. but i have a dormer bungalow, 4 bed, it has 9 double rads and 1 single, the living room which will be home for the stove is 5m long by 3.5m wide and room height is 2.4m im looking for a boiler multi-fuel so throw your suggestions and info my way as it will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

If you have a radiator in your living room then the ideal stove would be an insert stove, my stove is an esse 350gs which is just big enough for our dormer bungalow with 13 rads. We also have oil heating, which is good for getting the rads really hot for an hour or so and then let the stove take over, it keeps the rads good and warm for the rest of the night, they wont be as hot as the oil, but they are warm enough for us. The thing that will determine how good or bad a boiler stove will be is the pipe work, we already had an open fire with a backboiler, so all the pipework was in place, done by a plumber 20 years ago who knew what he was doing, i am not sure about the younger plumbers today, they probably dd not learn about solid fuel central heating like the older plumbers did, alot of people who get it in from scratch have trouble with their set up, and then think it is all the stoves fault for not heating the rads. Esse is a good make, and made in england, i would say any good stove outlet should be able to source an esse, we got ours from southern stoves in charleville, have had it for 5 years now, and touch wood, we have had no problems, only we will have to change the glass soon as it had grazed alot, small scratch type marks on it and the smoke from the coal gets into the scratches and it stains the glass black. Best of luck with your final choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

You will need an estimated 21/22kw to water to heat that number of radiators and domestic hot water. This means you are looking at a 25 to 30kw overall stove.
    Your main options are as follows-
    Stratford EB20
    Henley Druid 25 or 30
    Boru Carrig Mor 25 or 30
    Pierce Glas 25

There are a few others but they would be the main ones. The Stratford would be regarded as the best. The other 3 would all be of similar quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

30kw is way too high for the size of your living room, even with most of it going to heat the water, you will be roasted out of your living room, because these stoves have to be working at full pelt to give you that amount of kilowatts. talk to a stove supplier and find out exactly what size you will need, but take into account the size of the room that the stove will be in, and also the amount of fuel you will need to keep it going, boiler stoves especially have to be filled right up with fuel, with a 30kw boiler stove it will seem like you will need a wheelbarrow of coal a day to keep it going,wood is ok but it will not give you the required kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NW_EIRE

Thanks for the info guys, the stoves that we were mainly (when i say we i mean the better half) was looking at were the enamel finished ones as she seems to like them better, more so the Stanley as she seen it installed and loved the look of it. Her uncle is a plumber and one day he was here he done the kilowatt output for a boiler stove and went around the whole house measure the rooms and the size of rads, he came up with us needing 13.75 kw boiler output, going from his experience he said you could take away a kw as it's a smaller compact house. So I was just wondering as the Stanley Reginald runs at 14kw max boiler output then 5.5 kw into the room, as he said we would only need 2-3 kw to the room as we have open planned living area and kitchen. But we're afraid of it being too hot in the room and i know you could say ask a shop but anytime we go there and tell them what we want or need they just try to sell us the dearest items in the shop. Would I be pushing the Reginald to the limit of the boiler output as we really only need around 13kw and the max is 14? Ps sorry for the waffling on and your help is greatly appreciated 😊

Advertisement