Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneezing after swimming

Options
  • 22-03-2017 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Recently I have found myself sneezing after swimming for 2 days after a good session in the pool. this would be after swimming a mile in less than an hour, thats v good for me. My symptoms are blocked nose and sneezing.

A proper nuisance.

Its the 50m pool in UL I swim in

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

This happens to me too.

It's like really bad hay fever. I assume I'm allergic to some chemical in the water but I've never done anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

It's reaction to the chlorine. Get it, aswell as a lot of others in the club. Pool we swim in has high enough chlorine levels.

Have tried antihistamine, vicks, saline spray, sudafed but only thing that works is a nose plug. Takes a while to get used to it but wouldn't swim in that pool now without it.

...Not UL btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

anyone tried these nasal sprays ?

aidanki wrote: »
    anyone tried these nasal sprays ?

Yeah...Didn't work for me. Both saline and menthol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I've had the same. Nose clip did the trick. It was a reaction to chlorine and over production of mucus (that's a completely separate thing though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Nose clip here too! I've been swimming since I learned in the 80's in a chlorinated pool no problems. But when I started open water swimming in 2008 then went back to the pool since I've had this issue. Nose clip is the only solution...you get used to them quickly. I find the Speedo Competition ones the best (only ones that work for me), they're tight & dont slip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

That is a beast!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

nose clip all the way simple but very effective, speedo comp one goodalright.
    the ones with plastic body are waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

It's reaction to the chlorine. Get it, aswell as a lot of others in the club. Pool we swim in has high enough chlorine levels.

Have tried antihistamine, vicks, saline spray, sudafed but only thing that works is a nose plug. Takes a while to get used to it but wouldn't swim in that pool now without it.

...Not UL btw

just to update on this, I went to pharmacy and got anti-histamine tablets.

Took one yesterday morning and another before swimming last night.

A grand total of one sneeze after pool in total but nose is blocked, so not quite a success, will see how long it takes for nose to clear.

Advertisement