Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus n550jv will not charge or power with ac adapter

Options
  • 22-03-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I have an Asus n550jv. Yesterday the 3A fuse in the plug on the charger blew and laptop obviously stopped charging. I replaced the fuse with another 3A and this blew immediately after connecting to the mains with the laptop end hooked up.
    The laptop was still on at this stage and running off battery without any issue.
    I tried a different cable between the block on the charger and the mains and I tried using a 5A fuse, with neither having an effect. The fuse did not blow this time but there is still no charging taking place.
    Battery has now run out.
    I opened it up, removed the battery and put it back and then tried with the 5A fuse again and still nothing.
    There is no sign of burning on the laptop that I can see and no obvious smell.
    The charger itself looks to be in prefect condition.
    I purchased the laptop second-hand, about a week ago.

Is my issue likely to be a faulty charger or am I looking at something much worse?

Also possibly of note is it has been updated to Windows 10 and I'm not sure if any drivers for AC adapter were changed/needed to be changed by this process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Charger is fried by the sounds of it. Laptop is most likely OK but I wouldn't connect that charger to it again.

Is it a genuine Asus charger ? Cheap knock-offs from eBay are a false economy so try to get a good brand replacement if an original isn't available.

Maybe you could bring the laptop with you to Currys or Harveys and test it before you buy ? Don't tell them the previous one blew though, they may not be too keen to let you test it ;)

Ken

Advertisement