Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying for Financial Supports with previous qualifications?

Options
  • 22-03-2017 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I was wondering does anyone have experience with trying to get BTEA or any other financial supports for a level 8 degree but they already have a special purpose and/or component certificate at the same level? Do people know of any other options?

I have a 20 credit level 8 special purpose award from maynooth and I have been been offered a full time degree place in Trinity (as a mature student for first year and I don't have a previous degree)

I rang SUSI and they said this doesn't disqualify me from their grants. So at least there's that I suppose.

However the person at my local DSP said it does disqualify me from BTEA. (I meet every other qualifying criteria)

So basically I can never get a full time degree as you can't live off the susi grant so understandably I'm disappointed over this. So I that's why I looking to see if anyone has any advice or a similar experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

I know BTEA disqualifies you from the maintenance grant but can you apply for both? So encase one says no you still have the option of the other.

My DSP case worker said I should apply for BTEA anyway, fight for it and see how it goes but it's very likely I won't get it approved.

But does even trying to get BTEA stop you for even trying for susi maintenance component. It'll suck getting stuck with neither. I know an susi ask on the form if you are applying.

Advertisement