Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook query

Options
  • 22-03-2017 1:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a macbook pro (13-inch, mid 2009). It's a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics.

(I just copied that from the info page)

Hard drive has 28 GB free, but a lot of what is stored on it can be removed to a hard drive (old college files mainly).

It's running a little bit slow at times - word takes a few bounces to open up, it's slow to save things, and it doesn't really like having many tabs open on Chrome (or playing videos on youtube).

Is it possible to scrub it / clean it up at all? I can probably uninstall some apps that I had previously installed and no longer use (angry birds :o), but I'll need something that is capable of streaming live video chats and I'm wondering if I should invest in a new computer or whether it's fixable.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You could bump up the ram and put a SSD in it. Then a clean install of the OS and it should do those things fine. That said I wouldn't have thought it would have a problem even as it is now.

I've a windows Laptop similar spec 2.4Ghz Core2Duo CPU 2GB ram, it has a SSD but a worse graphics card. And it can use chrome and youtube fine. It can do 720p ok, 1080 it can't do. But 720 is good enough for that screen resolution anyway.

Perhaps your machine just needs spring clean, wiped and reset up again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

beauf wrote: »
    You could bump up the ram and put a SSD in it. Then a clean install of the OS and it should do those things fine. That said I wouldn't have thought it would have a problem even as it is now.

I've a windows Laptop similar spec 2.4Ghz Core2Duo CPU 2GB ram, it has a SSD but a worse graphics card. And it can use chrome and youtube fine. It can do 720p ok, 1080 it can't do. But 720 is good enough for that screen resolution anyway.

Perhaps your machine just needs spring clean, wiped and reset up again.

I suspect it might be okay after some TLC. It's currently my work computer so I'm hesitant to try anything too drastic on it presently! There's an awful lot of crap on it, and I am probably a bit guilty of neglecting things on my technology.

(My netbook needed 48 windows updates recently :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

All windows Machines need a Zillion updates constantly. Its very annoying.

If I were you I'd make sure I had everything backed up somewhere else. Another hard drive perhaps on DVDs etc. Even the cloud if that's something you want. When you are sure its all backed up, and you've tested you can access it. Then I'd consider doing a spring clean on the macbook. I have a few backups of my stuff. On different disks, DVDs.

Some more RAM and a SSD would give that laptop a real boost. That said you could probably get a decent price selling it still as is. Then go buy a new one. Still have to do the above back up and reset the macbook anyway.

Advertisement