Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remember... Point Blank

Options
  • 22-03-2017 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't done one of these in a good while, so why not come back to it with one of my favourite lightgun games, Point Blank.

687714-poblps0f.jpg

I was first introduced to Point Blank below in Tramore back around 1995. I used to love holidays to Tramore, as they had arcades. So back in 95, i sauntered into the usual arcades to spend my parents hard earned money, and immediately i was met with this colourful lightgun cabinet, with the bright writing of "Point Blank" and the characters of Dr. Dan and Dr. Don splashed on the side. I was straight over to it and spent most of my money enjoying the madness that is Point Blank.

A year or two later, myself and my mother went to Lahinch for the weekend, and on the first day she bought me the PS1 version with the gun. I was so excited, i couldn't wait to get home and play it. 3 days of painful waiting, and i finally got home, and played what i believe is one of the best home lightgun game ever.

The game was simple but complex, and each round had 4 or more levels, depending on the difficulty. The games ranged from simple shooting all the targets, static and moving, to shooting only your colours, to having to have pin point accuracy, and shooting everything but the bombs. You only had 3 lives for the entire game, which usually consisted of at least 3 rounds of 4 games. Add in a player 2 and the fun and insanity intensified.

While the likes of Time Crisis was the leader in the lightgun market, Point Blank was, for me, leagues ahead. Time Crisis was an on the rails shooter, with preset locations for the enemies and civilians, and could be learned easily enough. I even completed Time Crisis without getting hit once, which was a possibility once you figure out the patterns. Point Blank was random, and was always different each time you played it.

If lightgun games are to ever make a comeback, Point Blank should be first in line for a re-boot or re-make. I know there have been iOS and DS games, but without the gun, it's just not the same.

If you're ever lucky enough to find a PS1 with a lightgun and Point Blank, it would be money well spent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

It was definitely one of my favourite arcade games and I would always have a go if I came across it as it was just such pure fun to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**** that final stage though. 25 tiny targets, 25 bullets. So satisfying when you get those fireworks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I used to have this years ago, and I had a lightgun and so did my mate as he had Time Crisis.
    We used to get a few friends over with a bottle of vodka and it'd be one of the games we'd play at the start of a gaming night...it was great fun.
    Fast forward 8 years and I'm living with my mate talkin about games and I mention Point Blank...he's never heard of it.
    I build it up as the being the best thing ever...in my mind. :P

So I go online and onto adverts and buyandsell etc and find a old PS1 mini for sale (at this stage my original PS1 was go knows where...I was on Xbox360 at this stage).
    I buy the PS1 and then go onto Amazon and find 2 lightguns and a copy of point blank 1 and 2 for sale and buy them all.
    (I had a decent amount of disposable income at that time) :)

My plan of an amazing games night like the old days was coming to fruition :D

Everything arrives and I plug it in and......well....it doesn't work. I go online and read up as to what the problem is.
    CRT TV needed.
    I go back onto adverts and buy at 32" CRT...it was a MONSTER to carry...the size of the back where the electronics were...jaysis.
    I get it all set up...have a game or 2 myself...it's good...not as good as memory had it..but still enjoyable.
    Our Flatscreen is plonked in the corner as I have this set up to play for when he comes home.
    My mate arrives in...and we start to play.
    He is less than impressed...I'm bitterly disappointed :(
    The CRT promptly get's put in the back of the kitchen under a table where it sits for the next year.
    The PS1 and games get donated to a friend trying to make a games collection.

It was great in the arcades, and had real fond memories of it when it originally came out...but I guess I didn't feel it held up well....or maybe it was all the effort I had to go through and that poxy CRT abomination I bought that annoyed me and turned me off 2nd time around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    **** that final stage though. 25 tiny targets, 25 bullets. So satisfying when you get those fireworks!

I had forgotten! So infuriating, but so satisfying when you do manage it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I member

Great laugh with 2 players :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved it in the arcade. Great light gun game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

One of my all time favourite games. I was unreal at it, constant high scores. Wasnt as good on the Playstation so. Some day I will own the arcade cab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I dare say you'd still find the same Point Blank cabinet in Tramore. Was there a couple years back and one of the arcades (2nd last before you hit the beach) was still running one of the most poxed, half-functioning versions of the game you'd ever see.

The DS version is surprisingly good and echoes the arcade original pretty well. It could've easily just been a cheap DS cash-in thing, but there was plenty of effort put into it and they added a few other modes so you can squeeze a good bit of playtime out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked up a great collection from Japan of the Point Blank trilogy for the PS2, working with both GunCon models ​of the era.
    It also includes Time Crisis for good measure.
    If you like Point Blank there's also Ghoul Patrol, which is fun, also on PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 KneonK

You have just brought back a wonderful memory:

Back in '08 the place where I was working had a point blank arcade machine, with the high scores of the top 20 of users gone by, assuming from 1994, 1995. As I was hooked on the PS1 version when I was a kid, I made it my mission to reach the top score on this old arcade unit, and would spend my lunch times at this damn arcade machine. It was tough as my skills were shaky and I flushed away a lot of euros, but I did eventually get that top score *You really have to play on hard and hit all those fireworks at the end* and surpass it. By the time i was done, every score on the board was replaced with my name. I wonder if that machine survives somewhere else..

Coincidentally there is a new "barcade" opening in Smithfield allegedly in May, and they have point blank listed on their cabinet range. I might start saving up my euro coins.

Also they have an arcade version in Cassidys on westmorland street, I had a go when I was drinking one night, but its a bit janky and un-calibrated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

KneonK wrote: »
    Coincidentally there is a new "barcade" opening in Smithfield allegedly in May, and they have point blank listed on their cabinet range. I might start saving up my euro coins.

https://lovindublin.com/explore-dublin/a-new-retro-ardcade-restaurant-is-coming-to-smithfield-and-it-sounds-insanely-cool

Advertisement