Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brocolli like found in salad counters

Options
  • 21-03-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

In College theres a salad place and I really like the brocolli and the salads in general there. I am very new to eating veggies etc. Ate very few before.

I have bought brocolli myself to add to my home made salads but if they are raw they taste of chlorophylll and if I boil them for 2 minutes like recommended online they arent nice either. Dark green and too soft.

Any idea what the salad place could be doing to them? My gf said that they probably boil them but judging by the colour of them I think they are raw. Raw brocolli to me tastes bad. Any ideas? Could it be frozen? Would that remove the chlorophyll taste?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

They probably blanch the brocolli. Boil it for 1 to 1.5 mins in salted water and then immediately put the brocolli into ice cold water to prevent it from cooking any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Ruby31 wrote: »
    They probably blanch the brocolli. Boil it for 1 to 1.5 mins in salted water and then immediately put the brocolli into ice cold water to prevent it from cooking any more.

Thanks for the reply Ruby. I did put it into boiling with salt for 2 minutes today and that didnt work either. Will try it with 1 minute. How neccessary is ice cold water? Would regular cold tap water do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Perhaps saute or fry them for quite a short time, like they would do in any Asian place. I'm exactly the same as you, hate it raw and don't like it when it's too soft.

Advertisement