Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Visa New York/US 2017

Options
  • 21-03-2017 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi! I'm new to the Boards platform and thought I'd try and get some feedback and thoughts from people who are considering spending a year on the Graduate Visa in New York (or even the US in general but NY is my destination of choice), or those who have done this already and have any tips. There are lots of things to discuss such as accomodation, areas to live, where to look for jobs, etc. so will be interesting to learn from other people!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DiarmaidOF

So just a little intro of myself, my name is Diarmaid and I'm finishing a masters in Information Systems Management at the moment at NUI Galway. I hope to break into the area of User Experience Design and would love to get an internship New York if the right opportunity comes along.

I guess I'll get the first comment up and probably the most essential thing for someone wanting to work in the US, the visa!
    After much research and deliberation, I will more than likely use the Graduate J1 Visa (different from the J1 summer visa as the graduate visa lasts for 12 months - but you need to get employment within one month of arrival to the US).

I hoped initially, before even looking in the visas properly, that I could get a H1B1 Visa in order to be able to get a full time job but the chances of this is quite slim as you must have an organization sponsoring the visa for you which would be quite difficult if they cannot interview you. Plus, it's issues on an lottery basis. Others have advised that the Graduate Visa is probably the easiest option if you are a graduate which is why its my choice now.

A friend of mine informed of the Irish International Immigrant Center (IIIC) is the sponsor they chose and found them to be very helpful and nice to deal with. Would like to hear everyone elses thoughts?

Advertisement