Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest place to get a wii u

Options
  • 21-03-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭

I've seen all the zelda reviews and would love to play it but I've no interest in anything Nintendo or the switch

but I seriously would pick up a cheap wii u just to play this game anyone know were would be best to look into and what the cheapest price would be?

just need the basic wii u to play this game nothing with big HDDs or accessories etc

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

jonnycivic wrote: »

probably the cheapest option. most people on adverts seem to be asking more than that even when you take the games sold with it into account.

you need a wii u with the tablet controller by the way I believe. you couldn't just pick up one without this as it's needed for configuration or something.

still an expensive option for one game as you'd probably lose €100 between buying and selling console + game if that's all you're buying it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

glasso wrote: »
    probably the cheapest option. most people on adverts seem to be asking more than that even when you take the games sold with it into account.

you need a wii u with the tablet controller by the way I believe. you couldn't just pick up one without this as it's needed for configuration or something.

still an expensive option for one game as you'd probably lose €100 between buying and selling console + game if that's all you're buying it for.

yeah it sure is but I'd love to play it that's the sacrifice for it I suppose lol

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think your best option would honestly be to buy a Switch and then sell it afterwards. It'll cost you less in the long run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The Wii U premium was down to 199 over the weekend in argos i think so keep an eye there and see. My local Cex had a basic WiiU for 120 in their window.

• Advertisement

Think your best option would honestly be to buy a Switch and then sell it afterwards. It'll cost you less in the long run.

I should be able to pick up wii u and zelda for 220 if I have a deal that goes through when all is said and done
    isn't the switch like 330 and add 60 or 70 for zelda that's like 400 no way

at least I can sell on zelda and wii u for what 150? when I'm done with it hopefully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

biggebruv wrote: »
    I should be able to pick up wii u and zelda for 220 if I have a deal that goes through when all is said and done
    isn't the switch like 330 and add 60 or 70 for zelda that's like 400 no way

at least I can sell on zelda and wii u for what 150? when I'm done with it hopefully?

If you sell the wii u for €150 you're making a €70 loss on it. You could buy the Switch and Zelda in Argos for €395. The least you'd sell it for is €350, making a €45 loss instead of €70 on the wii u.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

personally id save up and get the switch instead of investing good money in a dead console

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

personally id save up and get the switch instead of investing good money in a dead console

That depends on how many games the op wants to play. Considering the switch has Zelda and eh yeah Zelda he/she might want to play other games as well as Zelda that's on the Wii U too and looks pretty damn similar from what I've seen.

Obviously the switch is the console for the future but for right now gaming and a large catalogue of fantastic first party Ninty titles id not hesitate in recommending the Wii U.

I think Smyths were doing a €200 offer with Mario kart op if you have a look

That depends on how many games the op wants to play. Considering the switch has Zelda and eh yeah Zelda he/she might want to play other games as well as Zelda that's on the Wii U too and looks pretty damn similar from what I've seen.

Obviously the switch is the console for the future but for right now gaming and a large catalogue of fantastic first party Ninty titles id not hesitate in recommending the Wii U.

I think Smyths were doing a €200 offer with Mario kart op if you have a look

Very true and I actually agree with you but he said in the OP that he has no interest in anything Nintendo or switch.

• Advertisement

Very true and I actually agree with you but he said in the OP that he has no interest in anything Nintendo or switch.

yes it's just the zelda game I'm after spending 220 now and getting most of it back is the better option for me than going out and spending 400 on the switch just to save a few extra bob when trading back in.

Either way it's an expensive option for 1 game but I want to play it so badly lol

edit

looking at the wii u list I've just seen donkey kong tropical freeze on there thats always something I thought looked good so looks like I have something else to get aswell lol

biggebruv wrote: »
    yes it's just the zelda game I'm after spending 220 now and getting most of it back is the better option for me than going out and spending 400 on the switch just to save a few extra bob when trading back in.

Either way it's an expensive option for 1 game but I want to play it so badly lol

edit

looking at the wii u list I've just seen donkey kong tropical freeze on there thats always something I thought looked good so looks like I have something else to get aswell lol

Good stuff man. If you enjoy Breath of the Wild then defo check out Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD for Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well the Switch is currently cheaper than the Wii U in Argos...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gekko11

Hey lads,

I'm kind of in the same both as the OP. Really want to play BOTW, but no interest in getting a switch. Been away from nintendo for years but had the urge lately to to pick up a cheap Wii U and a few of the Nintendo Selects games and indulge my nostalgia a bit.

Is now the right time to get one? Prices seem to be crazy atm for an end of the line console, console bundles are going for 300 quid in argos and smyths have sold out of the 200 euro ones. I'd like to get a new one if I can, but not a notion am I paying near Switch prices for it. What you reckon? Will it come down in price in the next couple months or just sell out at the current price?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd love a wii u but the only game I wanna play on it is the xenoblade game and the new zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gekko11

It's windwaker and Donkey Kong for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

There's loads of awesome games on the Wii U to be fair - great version of Rayman Legends, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D Land, etc... I've had one for a few years as my only console to complement my gaming PC and I still have yet to play everything I've bought for it! Just got BOTW over the weekend and it's soooo good thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nintendo consoles are kind of like Apple hardware - even the end of life stuff doesn't really get big price drops and they hold their value on the second hand market.

Advertisement