Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I make a bootable USB from a DVD?

• 21-03-2017 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying Windows 10 Pro on DVD from Elara.ie.

Is it possible to make a bootable USB from the DVD?

Or will I even need to?

Would it be easier to install from the DVD?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

once you buy the licence you can download the setup program from which you can create a bootable usb. you can do it from the dvd too of course. but you don't need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The thing is, Elara are €100 cheaper than Microsoft's own online store for the same thing. (How that can be is a mystery to me)

Hence my question about bootable USB from the DVD I would buy from them.

As this is a new build, all I can see is the BIOS screen. But, I do have a DVD drive fitted.

So, would using that be easier than making the bootable USB? Or does the DVD drive need an installed OS to function?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Using the dvd drive as a boot drive will work fine unless there is issue with the DVD itself. (extremely unlikely) You just need to set the Bios to boot from the drive. How much you planning to pay for windows 10?

A quick google gives the below options, as stated once you have the key you can just download w10.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=windows+10+oem&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awindows+10+oem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Installing from the DVD would be slower than from a USB but other than that, it should work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Sorted via USB in the end.

Running like a Porsche now.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement