Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Economics for Junior Cert?

• 20-03-2017 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hi
    Hoping a student going through this can help.
    I've a First year boy who is thinking of choosing home ec for junior cert. other option is Tech graph. He'd be the type to apply himself to most subjects and I'm surprised at how he's taken to the home ec syllabus so far. He's a good theory person more than practical.
    I suppose I'm wondering if he's as well off to keep up home ec for junior cert?
    What's involved upto junior cert? It seems to me from what I've seen so far, it's food sciencey with a dash of baking and sewing thrown in. I know they only getting a taster so far so would like to know what's to come over the next two years?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Home Ec. is a great subject for JC. It's one of those subjects everyone should have to do. He may or may not do sewing, there are different options which different schools take, such as Childcare.
    If he likes it, I see no reason why he shouldn't do it.
    The syllabus is here if you'd like a look.
    http://www.ncca.ie/uploadedfiles/Junior%20Cycle%20Review/HomeEc_syll.pdf (.pdf file)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

spurious thanks a million for that. Exactly what I needed to read. I actually think he'll quite enjoy that whole syllabus.
    I can see that it will be extremely useful for the rest of his life anyway. Wish I'd chosen it myself back in the day.
    Ok thank you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Aimeee wrote: »
    spurious thanks a million for that. Exactly what I needed to read. I actually think he'll quite enjoy that whole syllabus.
    I can see that it will be extremely useful for the rest of his life anyway. Wish I'd chosen it myself back in the day.
    Ok thank you again.

I did it myself and enjoyed it. Although I can't sew anything but I can follow a recipe :) I did it for LC and there was a huge difference.

I did it myself and enjoyed it. Although I can't sew anything but I can follow a recipe :) I did it for LC and there was a huge difference.
    Yes i can imagine there would be. I'll be back in two years hopefully to pick your brains if this section works out.
    Is there a lot of project work or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Aimeee wrote: »
    Yes i can imagine there would be. I'll be back in two years hopefully to pick your brains if this section works out.
    Is there a lot of project work or something?

Have a chat with the Home Ec teacher. I did it many years ago and the syllabus changed. When I did it we had to do a craft/childcare project and a practical.

• Advertisement

Yes I did a few weeks ago. She was very positive about him doing it. He's decided now anyway (had another chat there before he went to bed) and it's a yes. So fingers crossed that it'll work out. Tbh I think he'll enjoy it for the most part. Even the bit of sewing he did so far he went off & did it with no nagging from me and he was nifty enough at it. Would be great if i had a tailor on my hands here. :-)
    Sorry I don't mean to focus on the sewing I suppose when he started it first I really thought he would hate the practical side but it's the opposite!

Thanks for all the info guys and advice.
    Extremely helpful.

Advertisement