Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If something is too good to be true

Options
  • 20-03-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

So, my one bit of social media is Instagram, and no, I'm not a 15 year old girl!!

I started following two trading groups that offer to train/advise you on trades. So I contacted them both to see exactly what the story was.

1. A free 30 day trail, where they WhatsApp you 12-20 times a day on positions. The 30 day trial is free, after that, there's a set £99 per month.

Kicker: I asked exactly what his angle was and he said that he makes £99 per month and that's his bit. What I don't like is, I've to put cash into a trading account, where the link is given to me by them!

I asked him what was the average a novice makes in the first month and he said £1000, from an initial minimum investment of £250, would be accurate enough. His page is littered with screenshots of WhatsApp conversations with novices who are texting thanking him etc. Which could obviously be total BS!

2. They do the whole WhatsApp thing also, but they also provide webinars and 24/7 contact if it is needed. There is no trial here. They want 25% on all commissions.

The response here was professional if I'm honest, compared to the other one anyway.

Now, I realise that I'm being completely naive here, but why am I not availing of these services?

So boards, tell me I'm the eternal optimist and that this is all a load of sh1t!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭prmcnamara

Do not give them any money at all under any circumstances. I would recommend blocking them as well so they won't try follow up on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

prmcnamara wrote: »
    Do not give them any money at all under any circumstances. I would recommend blocking them as well so they won't try follow up on anything.

I haven't a hope in hell in giving them any cash!!
    But there are guys out there that do this! People like Timothy Sykes for example.

These are one of the ones that I contacted:

HHTRADING Group

https://mobile.twitter.com/hhtradinggroup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

So has anyone actually used any of these services and made money?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

This is a classic tweet from HHTRADING:

Places to be on our #trading team are going fast! Do not miss your chance to join our #trading team

They're trying to give you the impression they have limited places.

Can't believe people fall for this nonsense. Just another Forex scam. Stay far away.

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ_Z8X_D6YD/

Check out this comment: honey_aarby_ I wish i joined this :-(

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

reni10 wrote: »
    So has anyone actually used any of these services and made money?

That's the thing. Everything is screaming scam, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried it!

In contacting no. 1 above, I put forward my concerns etc and he said that he could see where I was coming from, but that he didn't have time to be dealing with my trust issues as he had so many more people looking to join. HE followed this by saying that maybe it wasn't for me!

I thought this was genius! He was questioning my drive and my balls at the same time! An excellent piece of reverse psycholog!!

I'd just love to hear from someone who actually had a go!

No. 1 is called 'tradewithtylar_' on Instagram if someone wants to look it up.

@80's Child - You actually called the scammer a genius cause he did some textbook reverse psychology technique on you. :o Right now this guy has a big smile on his face cause he thinks you will be contacting him in a short while. Once you give him your money he'll teach you the basics. Then he'll "suggest" about 10 trades a day. Of these 10 maybe a few will hit but he'll be sure to tell you how much profit you could have made without ever mentioning the losers. That's how it works.

Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    @80's Child - You actually called the scammer a genius cause he did some textbook reverse psychology technique on you. :o Right now this guy has a big smile on his face cause he thinks you will be contacting him in a short while. Once you give him your money he'll teach you the basics. Then he'll "suggest" about 10 trades a day. Of these 10 maybe a few will hit but he'll be sure to tell you how much profit you could have made without ever mentioning the losers. That's how it works.

Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

A genius in relative terms!!

HHTRADING got back to me, a minimum deposit of £400!! No wonder he's taking pictures in New York!!

Look, I've absolutely no intention of lodging any money here, but it has me intrigued, I won't lie!

£200 and £400 is a fair whack of cash, for me anyway, to be handing over to someone on the Internet, but obviously, people are doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

80s Child wrote: »
    I thought this was genius! He was questioning my drive and my balls at the same time! An excellent piece of reverse psychology!!

It's not excellent, this is fairly run of the mill scammer behavior. You're naive if you think any of this is impressive, rare or extraordinary. There is no "trading group", Some guy just set up a twitter/IG account with a tacky cheap looking theme draped over it.

They play on the facts that 1) you think you're smarter than the average person that gets scammed 2) that you're ambitious and looking to get rich quick 3) that you have a fear of missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭scheister

80s Child wrote: »
    A genius in relative terms!!

HHTRADING got back to me, a minimum deposit of £400!! No wonder he's taking pictures in New York!!

Look, I've absolutely no intention of lodging any money here, but it has me intrigued, I won't lie!

£200 and £400 is a fair whack of cash, for me anyway, to be handing over to someone on the Internet, but obviously, people are doing it!

There will always be mugs who hand the money over i learned that working in Paypal for a year the amount of people being scammed was shocking and very basis scams as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

he didn't have time to be dealing with my trust issues as he had so many more people looking to join. HE followed this by saying that maybe it wasn't for me!

monorail2.jpg

alb wrote: »
    monorail2.jpg

Ha!! Brilliant!

You've all displayed the exact sentiments that I'm thinking. What I find intriguing is the likes of Sykes, who 'claim' to help people, like myself, all of the time.

In fairness to him, he's not just hiding behind a twitter account, he's put himself forward and has been recognised by the media, not always positively it must be said!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Run Dougal, run quite fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

If it worked, he wouldn't need you...

its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Also you can get apps which wil fake WhatsApp messages for you. They will actually appear as if they were sent by someone. You type in their name or number and a message.

Would take 10 minutes to send a few messages to yourself saying how great it was and you can retire now and buy that villa. Then post these screenshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

What's the old trick on Wall Street?

Month 1
    Send 1,000 speculative letters (remember those!) to prospective clients.
    Recommend a 'buy' for General Electric stock to the first 500 on the list.
    Recommend a 'sell' for General Electric stock to the last 500.
    End of Month GE has gone up 2%

Month 2
    Send 500 letters to the 500 clients you gave a buy signal to for GE.
    Recommend a 'buy' for P&G stock to the first 250 on the list.
    Recommend a 'sell' for P&G stock to the last 250.
    End of Month P&G has fallen 2%

Month 3
    Send 125 letters to the 125 clients you gave a sell signal to for P&G.
    Recommend a 'buy' for Coke stock to the first 125 on the list.
    Recommend a 'sell' for Coke stock to the last 125.
    End of Month Coke has fallen 3%

Month 4
    Send a letter to the 125 clients you gave the sell recommendation to for Coke stock.
    You tell them you have been right for the past 3 months and ask why the hell you aren't their broker yet!
    You can help make them RICH!!!!!!!
    Contact us now on 555-BULLSH1TTERS

The only clowns who will be getting rich will be them.
    This kind of thing will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm amazed how people fall for this stuff.

If you had some sort of inside knowledge / sure thing stock picks, what would you rather do? Become a gazzilionaire by investing everything you had in it yourself, or sell it to a random stranger for €99 / month :rolleyes:

Advertisement