Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning coding...

Options
  • 20-03-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi guys

I'm interested in becoming proficient in coding. The short and narrow of it is I don't know a thing about it and I'm wondering where would people recommend starting off?

I read something about Treehouse being a good website to begin with but I said I'd ask for opinions here first!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Without spending any money, if you create a Microsoft account (if you have an hotmail/outlook email or use skype you probably already have), you can go to https://www.visualstudio.com/dev-essentials/ and you'll have access to Pluralsight courses, and also Opsgility courses for 3 months.

You can also go to Microsoft Virtual Academy - https://mva.microsoft.com/ and you'll find a lot of free courses for beginners and also different areas.

like you said you also have codeschool, treehouse and codeacademy (not sure which ones are free)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joelennon

Treehouse is great. Really high quality, can't go far wrong with it. Great free options include Codecademy and Khan Academy. If you were looking for somewhere to start language/framework wise and are interested specifically in building Web applications, I'd say check out Laravel (PHP) and in particular Laracasts, a video tutorial series that covers pretty much everything you'll need to know to get off the ground and build your first product.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

joelennon wrote: »
    Great free options include Codecademy and Khan Academy.

I've found CodeAcademy really great for improving my JS and Angular skills.

Advertisement