Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac won't boot - help!

Options
  • 20-03-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

I swapped out my iMac's HD today with an SSD, but now the machine won't boot.

I get the flashing folder/? symbol - showing that the machine can't find a bootable drive I think.

I THOUGHT I'd be able to boot into the recovery tool by holding down cmd-R, but that does nothing, nor does powering up while holding down X.

The reason I did this is because the original HD failed. It'd boot into recovery, but the tool said it couldn't repair the disk.

Anyone any advice please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need the OSX install media. "Recovery" is a small part of the HDD, which failed, the new SSD is totally blank and thus has no recovery partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

All sorted, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thanks - I have a bootable USB key with Sierra install on it, which works to the point where it asks which volume to install it on, and the SSD isn't there.

Does it have to be formatted previously or something? If so, how to do this please?

Thanks

Have you another machine you can format it on?

I think the HDD has to be exfat or fat 32 for the Mac to "see" it

Advertisement