Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three / old O2 Network - What am i on ?

Options
  • 20-03-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi,
    A quick query to see if anyone knows what actual infrastructure that i might be running on with Three....and there is a reason for this.
    I am a legacy O2 customer, was with them for years, and am among the many that became Three users when they bought O2. Now i am looking at changing from my old O2 price plan with very little minutes & data to a standard Three plan - prob their Sim only Flex Max plan - for about the same money per month. They have told me that i need to call into a Three store and get a new SIM as my current SIM will not work on their network ???? 
    From looking around Boards and talking to work colleagues, it appears that there are a lot of complaints about Three's data quality and speed, but my speed and data are actually ok, no real issues, 4G in Dublin most of the time. So this leads back to my question  - as a legacy O2 customer am i actually on Three or still on O2 network? I am very wary about moving SIM's etc if my service is going to downgrade
    Help Appreciated.
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

You are on the ex-O2 network for 2G and 3G.
    You are on the native Three network for 4G.

Ex-O2 has far less 3G coverage but for the most part is also far less loaded.
    Native Three has almost island-wide 3G coverage but is heavily congested in many areas.

If you move to a native Three plan then you'll be working:
    Ex-O2 for 2G.
    Native Three for 3G and 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Thanks for that. I suspected something along those lines but wasn't sure.
    So essentially if i am used to 4G coverage and speed right now, then i should not see any negative change in that speed or quality if i move to a new Three SIM.
    Their loyalty people did offer me a better legacy O2 plan that would not require moving to a Three SIM, but i couldn't the reason behind this, as it didn't have as much data as the Three Flex plan. The only advantage that i could see was that i didn't lose the upgrade that i currently have active on my account, which i would lose if i go SIM only. So unless i was going to use the upgrade - there doesn't appear to be any reason not to move to a Three SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

If you're lucky to have 4G wherever you normally travel around then you should have no discernible difference in speed.

However you are quite likely to experience a significant difference in 3G speed between the ex-O2 and native Three networks.

Advertisement